• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Paul & Dominic's Guide to Getting a Job in Quantitative Finance FAQ

DominiConnor

Quant Headhunter
Paul & Dominic’s Guide to Getting a Job in Quantitative Finance FAQ

[FONT=&quot]Paul & Dominic's Guide to Getting a Job in Quantitative Finance FAQ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 0: When is FAQ 2.0 coming out ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We don't know either. Our best estimate is in time for newbies starting courses in Autumn 2007. FAQ 1.x is still pretty good.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 1: What is the Guide ?
Our guide is a collection of reading lists, interview technique, CV guidelines, negotiating ploys, and gratuitous plugs for our quant pimping business. It's purpose is to help you get a good job at a bank, or at least stop you ending up at EDS.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It covers topics ranging from finite difference methods, stochastic calculus, fashion tips to what to do if your boss puts a dead rat in your coffee. It's currently 80 pages and pagecount is growing at 3.307 microHertz. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 2: Who are Paul & Dominic ? Do they make ice cream ?
It's written by Paul Wilmott & Dominic Connor who are nearly famous in this area, with a few veiled threats from Mrs. DCFC the lawyer. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 3: How much does it cost ?
Nothing. This is a) because we are nice guys (even Mrs. DCFC the expensive lawyer), And b) we swap it for CVs. However those nice people at Wiley want to publish it when it's finished. They will want money. Publishers are like that. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 4: What is a CV ?
Resume to you. Paul & Dominic are loyal citizens of Her Britannic Majesty, you aren't. Your loss [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 5: Can I have an autographed copy ?
Yes, they may be worth money one day. Or not. Disclaimer: The value of P&D guides may go down as well as up (OK, you got me there, down and down faster). Void except where not void, or if voided by a retroactive summary judgement in Tahiti. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 6: What is the latest version ?
1.95 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 7: How do I get a copy ?
i) Register on our database : PaulDominic
or
ii) Send us your CV, Dominic@PaulDominic.com
or
iii) Attend a finance course at one of the places that we have an agreement with to distribute it to students.
but not
iv) Apply for a job through a headhunter who so illiterate or lazy that he not only violates our copyright, but doesn't realise it is a plug for his biggest competitor.

(yes, it really does happen, did I mention Mrs DCFC is a really expensive lawyer for a very big firm ?)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 8: How much should I fear Mrs. DCFC the lawyer ? If you can see Mrs. DCFC she can sue you. If you can't see her you may be moments from terminal bankruptcy. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 9: What will P&D do with my CV ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Actually several things will not happen to your CV. We won't send it to anyone without your prior permission, we won't change it (even the spelling mistakes), and we won't use it to sell you life insurance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One day will may find that there may be a job for someone just like you, and then we will contact you. We may or may not send you occasional mails that you may enjoy, find useful or offensive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 10 : Who plays Dominic Connor in the film of the book ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Robbie Coltrane.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 10.1 : Who plays Paul Wilmott ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leonardo diCaprio. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 11: What is the difference between the section in Paul Wilmott's FAQ and the Guide ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Guide is 3 times longer, go figure.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 12: Why isn't my book on the Recommended Reading List ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1: We haven't read it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2: We didn't like it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3: Your publisher didn't send us a copy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4: You are Justin London, and we'd rather eat our own vomit than read your "book".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FAQ 12: I have found a mistkae in the Guide, what should you do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You are not alone, contact us, and we'll try and fix it in time for v2.0.[/FONT]

Back