• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pay News

Morgan Stanley Plan Aims at Retention
Oct 3 2006

Morgan Stanley's new incentive plan is meant to attract new talent and discourage the firm's bankers and traders from jumping to rivals. It's the latest move by Chief Executive John Mack to counter the sense the bank's compensation lags its competitors.
According to media reports, the new plan allows staff who earn at least $500,000 to invest part of their annual bonus in Morgan Stanley funds of hedge funds and private equity funds. A banking source familiar with the plans told Financial News the allowed investment would be a "small percentage" of a staff member's bonus.
In addition, the bank will lend qualified employees $2 for every $1 they invest in the funds. If the investments drop in value to the point where equity is wiped out, the loans would be forgivable. The bank is also loosening the rules on restricted stock awards, allowing employees to sell their shares after three years instead of five.

With bonus season approaching, the new plan could help induce staff to stay with Morgan Stanley. Low bonuses often spur bankers and traders to jump to other firms.

Last Week's Poll
Last week we asked what impact you thought Morgan Stanley's new incentive plan would have on the bank's staff. The plan allows those earning at least $500,000 to invest part of their annual bonus in the bank's funds of hedge funds and private equity funds. More than 26 percent of you said the plan will boost retention, while about 12 percent said it will keep retention even. Nearly 22 percent said it will make staffers hesitate before leaving the firm for another job. But more than 40 percent believe the plan will have no impact at all.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/PAY_ITEM/newsItemId-8013

Any thoughts?

I like this idea, its almost like found money. Say your bonus is 100K and u invest 10K into hedge funds with co investing 20K. You only lose the 10K. If you make money you just pay back the loan, the question is does this money vest i.e. if you do leave what do u wind-up losing.

Some co's have other incentives for example I can buy my co's stock at 15% discount, up to 6K though, but its better than nothing.

Back