• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pay to get internships

Supply and demand.

I think this was in the WSJ a few months back as well.

It makes me wonder if:
1. initial search = empty set -> panic -> fork out money for what ever you can get in desired industry.

and / or
2. glut in select industries = scarcity in others ( perhaps just as rewarding ).

I think the Department of Sanitation is looking for a few good hands.

It's much easier to get entry level quant job than find employment with sanitation department ;) The starting salary of a sanitation worker is a little more than what a beginning police officer makes. After 5 and half years of service, sanitation salaries can reach $60K+. Add on a top of that excellent benefits, no college degree requirement etc and you will see why people spend years on a waiting list to be employed by Department of Sanitation.

It's much easier to get entry level quant job than find employment with sanitation department ;) The starting salary of a sanitation worker is a little more than what a beginning police officer makes. After 5 and half years of service, sanitation salaries can reach $60K+. Add on a top of that excellent benefits, no college degree requirement etc and you will see why people spend years on a waiting list to be employed by Department of Sanitation.

I stand corrected. If not trash, one could always try to be a longshoreman.... But away from the topic of jobs that are handed down through the generations, I have a hard time believing that we're coming to a point where people have to buy an unpaid internship in general ( excluding those who do it as college credit ). I know I'm inviting a comment about the U.S. being destined for hell.

It makes me wonder if:
1. initial search = empty set -> panic -> fork out money for what ever you can get in desired industry.

and / or
2. glut in select industries = scarcity in others ( perhaps just as rewarding ).
3. Go to China
Shut Out at Home, Americans Seek Opportunity in China - NYTimes.com

Shanghai and Beijing are becoming new lands of opportunity for recent American college graduates who face unemployment nearing double digits at home.

Even those with limited or no knowledge of Chinese are heeding the call. They are lured by China's surging economy, the lower cost of living and a chance to bypass some of the dues-paying that is common to first jobs in the United States.

Just thinking, wouldn't these internship-placing companies make it harder to get an internship for "regular" applicants... causing more "regular" applicants to start using their service; that's pretty good business right there!
But then at one point the placing company will be able to fill only a limited number of spaces, and now it could actually end up in competition to get into the placing company. But this is probably a bit too extreme.

I can see some scenario when an MFE program works exclusively with one of these agencies, increase their tuition to cover the extra fee and then boasts that they have guaranteed internship for every admitted MFE students.
An extra $10K on top of the 80K tuition isn't a big deal to these students to get an internship. What do you think?

Back