• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ph.D. in the humanities

As someone that has lived with several phd/masters students in humanities I am more than sceptical, in fact I am strongly against it. Humanities students from what I have observed usually choose humanities because they were unable to pass grade 11 math and they were too lazy to work in trades (they were also high most of the time). I was actually thinking of creating a blog called "sociology majors say the darnest things" (kind of like kids say the darnest things with bill cosby). One time a 3rd year sociology phd told me that he doesn't think a mathematics degree requires analytical thinking. I didn't dignify his comment with a response as I was busy with trying to figure out if a) I was about to have an brain aneurysm or b) if it was too late in the academic year to find a sublet for my room so I wouldn't have to endure these brilliant lectures from this guy. Of course I have probably just had really bad luck with meeting these people and there probably are some genuinely intelligent humanities students/academics.

What is the employment prospect of humanities PhD graduates?

The only thing you can do with such a PhD is pray for a tenure-track academic job. The bar is so high for such jobs, I hear, that one literally has to have published a book to stand a chance. The humanities PhDs I know are eking out a subsistence living as adjuncts.

Back