• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD-student seeks quant course

Hi to all.

In the last couple of years, I have realised that a quant role in Finance is ideal for me as it combines my two passions in life -the financial markets and mathematics.

I am currently writing up my PhD thesis (Civil Engineering, Structural dynamics) and I have a quant interview lined up.

I have been studying interview type problems and I have been struck by a couple of things:

1) I absolutely love solving these types of questions
2) I was in a far better position to answer them some years ago. In my PhD, I have not being working in theoretical mathematics, but rather extrapolating known structural dynamic models and experiments to form cutting edge research. In the process, I realise that the type of mathematics needed here is quite rusty with me. No doubt I would get it back easily and excel if I studied it for a while.
Thus, I would love to know if there is some kind of 3 month lone or so program in the world that teaches the fundamentals of a quant role (C++, black-scholes etc) so I can say with utter confidence that I am ready.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

I would suggest that you take a look at the CQF program which you can take online and view materials as many times as desired.

http://www.7city.com/cqf.php?area=quants&outline=cqf&course=cqf

They have C++/math/finance modules. Paul Wilmott and Dominic Cornor are on the CQF faculty. Dominic is a member on our forum. He specializes in C++ and is a quite famous quant headhunter.

Back