• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

pHd vs MSFE

Is a pHd more useful than an MSFE for landing a position in prop trading or anything else?

There seem to be a lot of MSFEs in here, but I read in the interviews posted that a phd would be more useful. Typically how long will finance PHDs take?

And Ph.D. is harder to get. If you enter an MFE you are almost certain you'll get the degree, but it is not true for Ph.D.

As I say in our Guide, you should only do a PhD if the topic itself is something you feel will interest you for 4/5 years.

i don't understand

As I say in our Guide, you should only do a PhD if the topic itself is something you feel will interest you for 4/5 years.

If something does not interest you for 4/5 years why would you choose it as a career?

If something does not interest you for 4/5 years why would you choose it as a career?
I think the difference is like between surfing and diving. It is a question of depth.

If finance interests you, you may want to go into it as a career or study to a certain level.
If you want to drill into a specific topic, with a very narrow focus and are prepared to grapple with it for 5 years or more, then you have a better chance of going all the distance as part of a PhD program.

Back