• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

I didn't get any confirmation either. I'm assuming she has forwarded the paragraph to the admission committee.

I was redirected to the MSOR and a couple of hours ago I received an email saying I should call them for an interview March 10th or March 11th. If this helps anyone ;)

I don't know about other people. And I don't think MSOR is my first choice but thanks ;)

The interview was the same.
1. Why are you interested in the program.
2. Did you apply to any other schools. And if you are recommended for admission can we pretty much expect you to choose Columbia.
3. How do you plan to fund your studies.

Good Luck ;)

I don't know about other people. And I don't think MSOR is my first choice but thanks ;)

The interview was the same.
1. Why are you interested in the program.
2. Did you apply to any other schools. And if you are recommended for admission can we pretty much expect you to choose Columbia.
3. How do you plan to fund your studies.

Good Luck ;)
Hey adt, were you waitlisted by Columbia FE or did they redirect you without waitlisting you at all?

Can answer for me . I will say yes, it was mail from Prof Derman :) .
It gave some insight into the program and introduced the faculty members. Gave me a feeling the program cared about the students.

Touche @Ycohen ;)
Emanuel seems more a Steve Jobs type who enjoys blogging and interacting directly with his audience so I would not be surprised if he wrote it.
Regardless, @feelko and @Siddharth Singh are proof that the email did what it is supposed to do, which is to use a personal touch to sale a product.

And it's refreshing to see MFE programs start to pay attention to marketing and reaching out to applicants like never before. It used to be the domain of MBA programs and programs that are based off the business schools. Now, the competition for programs to attract a sought after pool of talented students is getting heated. Expect to see more if these in the future.

It used to be that you throw the "Columbia", "Chicago", "Stanford", etc names out there and you can handpick what you like. Now, with multiple programs within the same university (Columbia, Rutgers) and new kids in the block (MIT), it's getting more like MBA now. Schools will have to pay to advertise and market their program better.

Touche @Ycohen ;)
Emanuel seems more a Steve Jobs type who enjoys blogging and interacting directly with his audience so I would not be surprised if he wrote it.
Regardless, @feelko and @Siddharth Singh are proof that the email did what it is supposed to do, which is to use a personal touch to sale a product.

I actually think you are right on this one, Andy (as you usually are).

When I read "My Life as a Quant" long before I ever thought of becoming a quant I sent Professor Derman an email because I couldn't get one of the jokes in his book which really bothered me. He emailed me back the same day with a detailed explanation (which obviously ruined the joke but who cares?).
Your point about marketing is very interesting. I am surprised that aside from Baruch none of the schools seem to take advantage of websites such as this. The use of Facebook does seem to be on a rise though which seemed strange to me personally at first, but now I see the need.

I have kept Prof. Derman's and My Columbia MSFE Decision emails as unread..:)

OK...reality..I have CFA Level 3 sword hanging over my neck.. :(..very few days and lot's of reading to do

I was redirected to the MSOR and a couple of hours ago I received an email saying I should call them for an interview March 10th or March 11th. If this helps anyone ;)

that was quick...When did you send the paragraph to consider for MSOR ?

Monday (7th of March)

Oo and btw they told me I should expect decision by the 31st of March. I guess this might be the deadline for everyone. But I cannot be sure because I told them that I have deadlines to meet with other universities.

Good Luck

Back