• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

Just got an email from the admissions office regarding my application to mfe. They want me to call them to further discuss my candidacy and interest in Columbia. Has anyone else gotten this?

Is this new? I've never heard of this. Does this mean I am at the bottom of the admissions list and this is some sort of final filtering process?

Any idea of what type of questions they might ask ?
technical or general ?

Good luck with the interview.

Roni.

Anyone interested in knowing the interview questions, take a look at this
Columbia MSOR interview

The same group of admission people will interview you. It's in the IOER dept after all. That said, whoever gave them a call tomorrow, please share with us your experience.

Thanks very much, Andy.

For those who are too lazy to look for the questions that IOER students were asked last year:

1. Are you interested in being considered for admission to the OR program?
2. Have you applied elsewhere.If accepted to Columbia, what will be your priority with respect to accepting the place at Columbia?
3.Source of funding for your course at Columbia?

any idea whether they will be interviewing all the final candidates ?
and have they sent out the emails already ?

roni .. congrats and do let us know how it goes and what is the interview format.

Does this mean that their application pool is smaller this year? Are they going to extend application deadlind like last year?

As expected, the three questions were 1) Why Columbia? 2) What other schools did you apply to? 3) How will you fund it?

Good luck to everyone making the phone call today!

Yes, three same questions.

1) Why Columbia
2) Other programs you applied for. If yes, how do you rank them
3) Funding

Thanks for everyone's contribution on Quantnet!

Got the same questions. They said we should get our answers before March 1st.

Is this a bad sign for applicants who didn't receive any call from Columbia? Good luck to everyone!

thanks for the replies ..
any idea on the number of students/class size they are looking for this yr ?

and does this mean tht people who haven't received the email have been rejected ?

thanks for the replies ..
any idea on the number of students/class size they are looking for this yr ?

and does this mean tht people who haven't received the email have been rejected ?

In the last two years, they accepted 110 students and only approx 60 registered.
I guess they want to increase their class size and want to make sure more people register ( only 55% registered).

Also, I didn't get an invitation and I hope it doesn't mean that my application was denied. Perhaps, if you are located in the US or even in NYC, they think that the chances that you choose Columbia are very high. So, they don't really want to spend time interviewing you ( I hope :) ).

Another reason why they might be interviewing is to see that the applicants can really communicate in English. So, if you are from an English speaking country, I wouldn't really worry.

Anyway, good luck to all of us.

did I shoot myself in the foot by telling them that they were not my #1 choice?

ya i immediately regretted my answer after the call. do you think they'll reject me based on this?

In the last two years, they accepted 110 students and only approx 60 registered.
I guess they want to increase their class size and want to make sure more people register ( only 55% registered).

Also, I didn't get an invitation and I hope it doesn't mean that my application was denied. Perhaps, if you are located in the US or even in NYC, they think that the chances that you choose Columbia are very high. So, they don't really want to spend time interviewing you ( I hope :) ).

Another reason why they might be interviewing is to see that the applicants can really communicate in English. So, if you are from an English speaking country, I wouldn't really worry.

Anyway, good luck to all of us.

Thank you Roni, it is really reassuring. Good luck to all of us!

What about Columbia telling some people on the phone interview they will here a decision by 1st of March and on the other hand on their website and in the email they sent on the 14th of January is written by the third week of February? Any suggestions why is this difference?

What about Columbia telling some people on the phone interview they will here a decision by 1st of March and on the other hand on their website and in the email they sent on the 14th of January is written by the third week of February? Any suggestions why is this difference?
Perhaps they realized that they couldn't keep up with the original date (third week of Feb) ?

Back