• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

When there, you will know if you can handle the truth ;)

What is that supposed to mean? I'm confused.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much project crunch time where I work so I doubt I will have any sort of time to visit the campuses, let alone even one. However, I did plan on talking to the faculty before making a decision.

On a side note, I doubt that I can go wrong with either schools. I have been looking all over and asking around from people I know who are in the field. Everybody will have their own opinion and so I'm just trying to make the best educated guess with the information I have.

I was referring to "buyer remorse" which I know happen to a few people. It's interesting to note that high school graduates take college tour to decide where they want to study, but few people doing MFE actually set food on the campus.
I'm biased since I live in NYC and all the great programs around here are just a short subway ride away.

i wonder whats going to happen to those who got interviewed and still says pending...

What is that supposed to mean? I'm confused.

I think what Andy is politely trying to tell you (and I guess rest of us as well) is to be realistic about your expectations from MFE. I will be leaving a very well paying job and will probably start at a lower salary but I think it will be worth it. And there will be always some element of risk in decisions we make :rolleyes:

The acceptance email came with a caveat that the official acceptance was still yet to come upon approval from Graduate Student Services. Does anyone know of any cases where GSS failed to approve the department's recommendation to accept?

i wonder whats going to happen to those who got interviewed and still says pending...
yeah me too...i still have a pending status. i'm wondering what I told them that they didn't like in the 2 basic questions they asked!!
iniesta, you've done your interview a week ago, right? i did it on thursday 17/02 and they said that they would notify me within a week...i would call them if i were you!

The acceptance email came with a caveat that the official acceptance was still yet to come upon approval from Graduate Student Services. Does anyone know of any cases where GSS failed to approve the department's recommendation to accept?

I think that it's more than rare to see rejection by GSS at this stage...perhaps only if there is a purely administrative matter, which is impossible to circumvent (visa status transfer, payments etc)

yeah me too...i still have a pending status. i'm wondering what I told them that they didn't like in the 2 basic questions they asked!!
iniesta, you've done your interview a week ago, right? i did it on thursday 17/02 and they said that they would notify me within a week...i would call them if i were you!

I think that it's more than rare to see rejection by GSS at this stage...perhaps only if there is a purely administrative matter, which is impossible to circumvent (visa status transfer, payments etc)

Pepepersel, my status is the same as yours after the interview on 17/2. The interviewer kept saying fantastic each time I finished my answer to those 3 questions. So, I think she is satisfied with my answer. Should we call Adina to know if there is anything wrong!

Hi guys, I too had my interview on 18/2, and have not received anything from them as yet. The status of my application still says 'pending'. Do you think the ones who got interviewed but didn't get acceptances would eventually be 'declined'? :( That'll be sad.

Hi ppl...Even i got an email for the call but was not able to, wrote them an email for next week's schedule.
please update if anybody got a latest email for the phone call session.

Pepepersel, my status is the same as yours after the interview on 17/2. The interviewer kept saying fantastic each time I finished my answer to those 3 questions. So, I think she is satisfied with my answer. Should we call Adina to know if there is anything wrong!
it's probably a good idea to call a week after the interview...perhaps we'll have more updates by them or other people in the forum by then!
and yeah, as kpranjal noted, it will be sad if the rest of the interviewees get declined in the end...

It may have been a holiday today, but I believe the admissions was still open since they called me regarding some confusion with my official name. Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! (albeit with the caveat of verification, which I hope is a formality because it would be embarrassing and impossible to tell all the people I told I got in that there was a small mistake.......)
I look forward to meeting all of you who decide to come in July!

I am sure the program is great except for one thing-crazy tuition fees! They charge $50,000 for one year! Does anyone know how much they charge for the summer session? I was planing on finishing the degree in 1.5 years but now I realize I might be consuming my future incomes too aggressively...

Will Bear,

Do you pay more I you extend the length of your program?
This sounds weird to pay more for the same diploma ...

Will Bear,

Do you pay more I you extend the length of your program?
This sounds weird to pay more for the same diploma ...

The way I understand the Columbia tuition system for gradute school is that you pay 1370 dollars per credit. Therefore, the tuition is the same regardless of how long it takes. The only difference I can imagine is that there is a "mandatory fee" which you pay every semester of $3230.

The way I understand the Columbia tuition system for gradute school is that you pay 1370 dollars per credit. Therefore, the tuition is the same regardless of how long it takes. The only difference I can imagine is that there is a "mandatory fee" which you pay every semester of $3230.

Ahhhh...I think you are right!

Back