• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

It was an email after I had a pretty good phone interview (they only asked softball questions.) It says something about verifying my information and getting an official letter in two weeks. But why couldn't they just say "accepted"?? Is it like when they recommend not to talk on your cellphone while driving and everyone still does? Does the school have to heed their recommendation?

I have the same thing. This means that the IEOR Department has recommended you for admission. Now the Graduate Student Services (GSS) (a part of the Graduate School) will process your application.

Its just like, you go for a job interview, have interviews with the Manager and his team, they grill you and in the end would like you to be part fo their team. So, they "recommend" you to HR. The HR processes your application, verifies your resume details, does a background check and if there are no red flags, sends you the "Official" offer letter.

I have the same thing. This means that the IEOR Department has recommended you for admission. Now the Graduate Student Services (GSS) (a part of the Graduate School) will process your application.

Its just like, you go for a job interview, have interviews with the Manager and his team, they grill you and in the end would like you to be part fo their team. So, they "recommend" you to HR. They process your application, verify your resume details, do a background check and if there are no red flags, send you the "Official" offer letter.

So basically if everything on my resume, transcripts and statement of purpose is true I can share the news and celebrate?

So basically if everything on my resume, transcripts and statement of purpose is true I can share the news and celebrate?

LOL, you can celebrate even if something is not true on your resume or SoP, they have no way of knowing it, haha.
I believe all they want to do is to check your current status (international, US citizen, permanent resident) and make sure your transcripts are not fake.

Congrats to all of you !

I got an email from Columbia to call them tomorrow. Hopefully this means I'll be accepted. Does anyone know if they have already mailed out letters to students who have been accepted? I know they have sent out email notifications but what about actual letters detailing the cost of attendance, scholarships, housing, etc.?

I got an email from Columbia to call them tomorrow. Hopefully this means I'll be accepted. Does anyone know if they have already mailed out letters to students who have been accepted? I know they have sent out email notifications but what about actual letters detailing the cost of attendance, scholarships, housing, etc.?

I believe that this is a very good sign, Bronson. They haven't sent out official letters yet because it has to be cleared by the graduate school. The process takes around two weeks, apparently. Good luck with the interview! It's very easy. Just why MFE? Why Columbia? They have asked others about how they plan to finance their studies. Good luck! (P.S. Don't wait for an email after your interview just check if your online status has changed. It will happen before you get the email).

I think they are interviewing all candidates who they plan on admitting. I am located in the United States so they aren't only interviewing foreign students to gauge their English language competency.

It says "recommended for admission" because the department head is "recommending" the dean of admission to admit you, since in most schools, dean of admission is the one who officially decides whom to admit, and dean almost always follows the "recommendation" from the department head. So "recommended for admission" basically means acceptance.....

has anybody been offered admit or 'recommende for admissn' without an iterview ?
any hope for those who havent' yet received interview invites ?? :|

has anybody been offered admit or 'recommende for admissn' without an iterview ?
any hope for those who havent' yet received interview invites ?? :|
I think this year they interview everyone who they want to accept. And, since there are only 3 business days left before March 1, our chances to get in are getting lower :( lots of people are going to get the bad news through email :\

I think this year they interview everyone who they want to accept. And, since there are only 3 business days left before March 1, our chances to get in are getting lower :( lots of people are going to get the bad news through email :\
My friend just got a reject mail a few hours ago. I wonder what they are doing with us whose application is still under review.

My friend just got a reject mail a few hours ago. I wonder what they are doing with us whose application is still under review.

A few hours ago? I don't think it's office time...
Maybe our applications have not been reviewed cuz they've received too many applications this year.
Good luck!

A few hours ago? I don't think it's office time...
Maybe our applications have not been reviewed cuz they've received too many applications this year.
Good luck!

Even I was quite surprised as its past the office hours. I wonder what is it then

It says "recommended for admission" because the department head is "recommending" the dean of admission to admit you, since in most schools, dean of admission is the one who officially decides whom to admit, and dean almost always follows the "recommendation" from the department head. So "recommended for admission" basically means acceptance.....

Thanks for the encouragement CoolHarvard!

Good luck!

This is still not encouraging :\
According to an applicant who got in, they want to keep the same class size (around 60)...
So, they have probably accepted a bunch and only a few spots are left... hope I'm wrong, though...

Back