• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

Does anyone know what the chances of having enough people who got accepted and waitlisted declining so that more spots open up?

Hi, I got the interview last Thursday and I called them last week for only few questions in two minutes. Yesterday I got the email and know that I am on the waiting list. I am very confused now. Has anyone had the same situation as me? How many people who got the interviews are put on the waiting list? I am anxious for the answer!

Hi, I got the interview last Thursday and I called them last week for only few questions in two minutes. Yesterday I got the email and know that I am on the waiting list. I am very confused now. Has anyone had the same situation as me? How many people who got the interviews are put on the waiting list? I am anxious for the answer!

Check out our Tracker, a few people are in the same situation.

Last yr the situation was a little different.. I assume they didnt recieve such a huge volume of applications for MSFE.. they fwded quite a few to MSOR and then had a similar style of telephonic interview.. I am not too sure of the odds .. but i knew quite a few ppl who had made to MSOR but had actually applied to MSFE
what are the odds of getting admited to MSOR ?? didnt u take it up last yr ?/

Hey roni.. sorry fr the late reply.. well nt much.. just gave CFA level -1 , completed India's National stock exchnge professional level-1 and working as derivative analyst... but it seems was not enough for the large pool of applicants who applied this yr !!
Damn... how did you improve your application from last year ?

I propose that those MFE applicants who did not get MFE offer but eventually get an offer from MSOR should add another timeline for the MSOR program where you basically use your MFE timeline with the decision date is the date you are offered MSOR admission. Add some details on the Notes that you were originally MFE applicant.
I hope this would give future tracker watchers more data on where previous applicants end up.

Hey roni.. sorry fr the late reply.. well nt much.. just gave CFA level -1 , completed India's National stock exchnge professional level-1 and working as derivative analyst... but it seems was not enough for the large pool of applicants who applied this yr !!

I feel really bad for you... hope you get into a top program !
What are you going to do if you get into the MSOR program ?

Has anyone received an official admission letter? It has been 2 weeks since I got the email from the IEOR department so I am a little worried
frown.png

so its almost a week after the most awaited result of the year was declared leaving many dejected :( ..time to move on
i'd like to express my dissapointment in a sad and humorous way through this popular internet meme

z5Zuf.jpg

congratulations to all those who made it..rest of us..keep trying :)

Has anyone received an official admission letter? It has been 2 weeks since I got the email from the IEOR department so I am a little worried :(

No letter here either. I wouldn't be too worried. Are you located in the States?

Anyone who has replyed the email for MSOR:

Will they send us a notification email or change the status on application website after we showed our interest for MSOR program?

Anyone who has replyed the email for MSOR:

Will they send us a notification email or change the status on application website after we showed our interest for MSOR program?

I sent on last Friday but nth has changed...

I sent on last Friday but nth has changed...

I've also been redirected from MSFE to MSOR. I think we're just going to be dumped into the MSOR applicant pool now, so we're going to find out whenever the MSOR applicants find out (April?).

Having said that, should we be changing our SOPs to read that we're applying for "Master of Science in Operations Research" instead of Master of Science in Financial Engineering? Adcom obvious knows that we initially applied to MSFE...

I've also been redirected from MSFE to MSOR. I think we're just going to be dumped into the MSOR applicant pool now, so we're going to find out whenever the MSOR applicants find out (April?).

Having said that, should we be changing our SOPs to read that we're applying for "Master of Science in Operations Research" instead of Master of Science in Financial Engineering? Adcom obvious knows that we initially applied to MSFE...
They said nothing about this, writing a totally new SoP takes time... follow the instructions in the email, write a short paragraph explaining why MSOR is a good choice for you.

does anyone know when the msor results of redirected applicants announced last yr ?? maybe this yr too they might come at the same time.

For international applicants ...
I got selected for the MFE program and my application was then directed to Graduate Student Service for the document verification and they came back to me today asking for the Official Copies of Degree Certificate.

Has anyone of you provided any such document ?
Will photocopies of Degree certificate suffice or do i need to provide them with attested copy of degree certi sealed in an envelope like transcripts ?

Any help is truly appreciated . Pls advise.

For international applicants ...
I got selected for the MFE program and my application was then directed to Graduate Student Service for the document verification and they came back to me today asking for the Official Copies of Degree Certificate.

Has anyone of you provided any such document ?
Will photocopies of Degree certificate suffice or do i need to provide them with attested copy of degree certi sealed in an envelope like transcripts ?

Any help is truly appreciated . Pls advise.

Hi banbuzz, why are you asking this question here ? Only Columbia GSS can answer these questions. Why don't you email or call them and find out what would work ? They will certainly help you.

To all those who are redirected to MSOR , As per my experience last yr

1. Status on application never changed even when one was accepted for msor
2. Last yr they introduced the telephonic interviews for MSOR to judge one's interest in joining. Now, MSFE results were out nearly 10 days earlier than this yr.. redirected MSOR candidates were interviewed around 3rd week of March and final decision was conveyed by March end.

Does anyone get some kinds of confirmation after sending the paragraph to Adina? even sth like " Thank you" counts....
I havent got any feedback so feel a little worried...

Back