• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Phone call from Columbia MFE admissions ?

I have kept Prof. Derman's and My Columbia MSFE Decision emails as unread..:)

OK...reality..I have CFA Level 3 sword hanging over my neck.. :(..very few days and lot's of reading to do
Good luck Mcgruber!! Any tips for level 2 guys.

Good luck McGruber!

thanks Ycohen..

Good luck Mcgruber!! Any tips for level 2 guys.

thanks kichuxj. The only advice I can give you is to read the CFA curriculum books and do all the end of reading questions multiple times. It is a lot of reading but also more informative and fun. And do all the practice exams.Schweser reading session crap is useless..but this is just me.

good luck to you too..

Hi all, yesterday I received the MSOR redirect decision email again. Anyone got the same email?

"We regret to inform you that you have not been accepted to Columbia University's M.S. program in Financial Engineering. Each year we receive many more qualified applicants to our program than we are able to accept, and hence we are faced with the difficult task of denying admission to many excellent candidates.

However, your application is now being considered for the M.S. program in Operations Research. The M.S. Admissions Committee will begin reviewing your application shortly and will contact you directly if additional information is needed. Meanwhile, please refer tohttp://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/admissions/FAQs/index.html for more information."

I was waitlisted and have not received a redirect email yet. I suppose this is good news for me. Would those of you who were initially waitlisted but have now been redirected mind posting your stats?

has anyone received the offer letter by post yet ?

I didn't get the letter in the mail yet, however, they did send an email with a link to a system where I could view the letter online. The deadline to reply is April 15th with a $2500 deposit.

I didn't get the letter in the mail yet, however, they did send an email with a link to a system where I could view the letter online. The deadline to reply is April 15th with a $2500 deposit.

However, if you click on the response form, the amount becomes 250$. I've sent an e-mail to admit@ieor.columbia.edu to make sure we will still receive the admission package where we will have more information (because they did not send the online letter last year)

However, if you click on the response form, the amount becomes 250$. I've sent an e-mail to admit@ieor.columbia.edu to make sure we will still receive the admission package where we will have more information (because they did not send the online letter last year)
Yes, it's weird
And also, if you compare Curriculum enclosed to letter and on the web-site http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/graduate/ms_financial_eng/fe_curriculum11_12.html you will notice a little difference in Fall term electives.

Can answer for me . I will say yes, it was mail from Prof Derman :) .
It gave some insight into the program and introduced the faculty members. Gave me a feeling the program cared about the students.

do you mind share your profile with me? I'm interested in the program also, although I know it's very competitive.

They said nothing about this, writing a totally new SoP takes time... follow the instructions in the email, write a short paragraph explaining why MSOR is a good choice for you.

Hey Roni,

From the Tracker, I found you've just received a mail from Columbia MSOR. (sth like 'you're now under the consideration of MSOR')
I've also replied a paragraph but did not receive any kind of notification.
I gonna be mad with Gmail! Always missing important mails...
Would you mind showing us the entire email?
Others who're redirected to MSOR:
Have you also received the same mail yesterday?

Thanks

Joyce​

Hello Roni,

I have been redirected from the MSFE to the MSOR in Columbia. I have received the e-mail, and on the page of the online application it is now written that I have been rejected from the MSFE and that a decision is pending for the MSOR.

Here is the e-mail :

We regret to inform you that you have not been accepted to Columbia University's M.S. program in Financial Engineering. Each year we receive many more qualified applicants to our program than we are able to accept, and hence we are faced with the difficult task of denying admission to many excellent candidates.
However, your application is now being considered for the M.S. program in Operations Research. The M.S. Admissions Committee will begin reviewing your application shortly and will contact you directly if additional information is needed. Meanwhile, please refer to http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/admissions/FAQs/index.html for more information. Best Regards, M.S. Admissions Coordinator Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department
Columbia University

Hey Roni,​
From the Tracker, I found you've just received a mail from Columbia MSOR. (sth like 'you're now under the consideration of MSOR')​
I've also replied a paragraph but did not receive any kind of notification.​
I gonna be mad with Gmail! Always missing important mails...​
Would you mind showing us the entire email?​
Others who're redirected to MSOR:​
Have you also received the same mail yesterday?​
Thanks​
Joyce​

Check your MSFE application, it should say:
Columbia MSFE rejected
Columbia MSOR pending

The title is :"Decision on your Columbia M.S. application‏"

Here is the body of the email:
"
We regret to inform you that you have not been accepted to Columbia University's M.S. program in Financial Engineering. Each year we receive many more qualified applicants to our program than we are able to accept, and hence we are faced with the difficult task of denying admission to many excellent candidates.

However, your application is now being considered for the M.S. program in Operations Research. The M.S. Admissions Committee will begin reviewing your application shortly and will contact you directly if additional information is needed. Meanwhile, please refer to http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/admissions/FAQs/index.html for more information.

Best Regards,

M.S. Admissions Coordinator
Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department
Columbia University"

Hey Roni,​
From the Tracker, I found you've just received a mail from Columbia MSOR. (sth like 'you're now under the consideration of MSOR')​
I've also replied a paragraph but did not receive any kind of notification.​
I gonna be mad with Gmail! Always missing important mails...​
Would you mind showing us the entire email?​
Others who're redirected to MSOR:​
Have you also received the same mail yesterday?​
Thanks​
Joyce​
I haven't received anything too.

Only see that adt got interview. Anyone else got interview invitation so far ? (for MSOR though)

their admission process is so unpredictable...hope someone who have already got the interview invitation can share and clear some doubts...otherwise, it will be endless waiting for this March again!

I am on the waitlist of MSFE, what do you think of the chance to get in, when can I know the result?

Back