• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please advise on my PhD situation

Hi everyone. This may be just another "should I continue with my PhD?" post, but I guess everyone's situation is different, and I would appreciate your words of advice.

I am approaching the end of my 2nd year in a mathematics PhD program (the department of my school is one of the top 10th in the U.S., if this adds to the information). I didn't do a Masters and went straight to the Ph.D. program after finishing a mathematical economics and statistics double major in an Ivy League university.

I spent my 1st year finishing my qualifying exams (prelim.), and in my 2nd year I started to explore different research areas. However, it turned out that the range of research topics here do not suit me. I had two professors in mind before I came here, but unexpectedly, one of them was actually planning to retire, and things were not working out with the other (in terms of research focus and philosophy). Thus, I have a serious problem in finding an advisor I like, since the rest of the faculty members have very different interests than I have, and I do not want to change field.

That being said, I'm really not sure if I can find a research topic that can keep me motivated for the next 4 years (it usually takes 6 years to finish the program here).

This makes me think if it would be more suitable to look for a job (I have earned a M.Sc en route now). So my question is: how much/what kind of marketability do I have in the field of quantitative analysis with a M.Sc in mathematics?

(Due to financial reasons I don't think a MFE would be an option for me.)

In terms of knowledge, I am familiar with measure theoretic probability, stochastic processes, and PDE, and I have taken courses in numerical analysis and C. I don't think I am an expert in programming though.

In addition, this summer I plan to educate myself in financial mathematics by reading the books from the Master Reading List.

[I don't know if it is relevant for a quant job, but as for statistics, I have some knowledge in econometrics and statistical inference, and I have some programming experiences in STATA.]

To recap, what makes me consider leaving my program is that I am not optimistic about finding an advisor in my field of interest. Perhaps I have just chosen a wrong school to go to, or perhaps I have simply overestimated the amount of my interest in mathematics (On retrospect, I think a PhD program in applied math/statistics would have been more suitable to my interest). I don't know if I should leave the program or not -- I guess it is another "should I try to persevere? vs. should I just cut down the loss at an early stage?" type of dilemma that I am being faced with. Please advise. :smt024

I suppose the first thing to do is work with your current supervisors to find a course somewhere else.
What is your current PhD direction ?

Speaking of PhDs...Dominic, what is your opinion of a Financial Mathematica PhD?

I suppose the first thing to do is work with your current supervisors to find a course somewhere else.
What is your current PhD direction ?

Thanks DC for your reply. I don't have a very clear direction yet, but it is something on pure analysis (with a possibility of applying to some applied problems -- but I doubt if my supervisor likes to direct a thesis on an applied problem).

By "to find a course somewhere else," do you mean I should find another supervisor or discuss another direction with my current supervisor? Thanks.

If you have passed all exams, I suggest to go for the thesis and explore all possibilities in the department. If it is a top 10 program, there should be faculty interested in many areas. Talk to them and maybe you'll find someone with similar interests.

Back