• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please Comment

Hello to everyone.

My name is Peter. I am studying MS in Financial Mathematics at NC State University, Raleigh. I will complete my 1st year in this course in the Spring '08 semester. I wish to transfer/or begin afresh at Baruch University. My profile is:

GPA: 3.22 (1st sem), 2nd sem grades yet to be released
GRE: 1470 [verbal 700, quant 770]
Courses covered till now: Capital Investment Economic Analysis, Asset Pricing, Probability and Stochastics, Computational Methods in Economics and Finance, Statistical Inference, Financial Calculus, Investment Theory and Practice.

My undergraduate degree is in Computer Engineering. So I am acquainted C & C++ also.
How good/bad are my chances. Will my 1 year of studies at NC State University be any advantage for getting an admit? :-ss

The first question will be asked is that why you want to transfer to Baruch after one year at another program.
Another comment is that we don't generally respond to "what are my chances at X" kind of question. We just encourage you to apply to wherever you want to go and let the chips fall where it may.
Your one year at NC may be of some use but you can only count 2 of those courses toward a Baruch MFE degree.
You can't transfer to Baruch MFE. You will have to apply just as a new student and the deadline for Fall 2008 is April 30, 2008. You may have to apply for Fall 2009.

Hi Peter,

Why do you want to transfer? Any particular reason?

Basically I am impressed with the course setup of Baruch. I was not aware of this program last year (when I was doing my applications). Is it impractical to shift to Baruch? I do not care about transferring. I want to do the entire course anyways. Do my courses at NC State give a push to my application in any way?

I don't know. You are better of applying but now it might be late. Send an email to the director of the program to find out.

You would have to apply for admission (and do so quickly - the deadline is April 30).

The fact that you already took those courses strengthens your background (but your application will be evaluated according to the same standard as any other). If you are admitted, it is possible to transfer credits for up to four courses.

I am all set to shoot off my application by tomorrow...thanks for the reply. Just for confirmation, on the website it says that its ok if the application package is postmarked by 30th April. Is it fine? I will turn in my online application tomorrow. And I have already called up ETS and reported my GRE scores.

I am all set to shoot off my application by tomorrow...thanks for the reply. Just for confirmation, on the website it says that its ok if the application package is postmarked by 30th April. Is it fine? I will turn in my online application tomorrow. And I have already called up ETS and reported my GRE scores.

Correct - by 11:59:59pm on 4/30/2008

I have already started my application. The deadline has to match with the time I started my application or when I submit my application?

Back