• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Pre-courses of UCB MFE

Hi all, I just received the conditional offer from UCB MFE. But I am confused about the pre-requisite.

Does anyone know to which extent I should read these pre-requisite books? Does the committee conduct regular checks on my reading progress?

屏幕快照 2020-03-21 下午4.41.36.png

By the way, do you have any recommendations on where to take these pre-requisite courses online?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I thin you should read these books throughly as this will help you in preparing for internship interiews and also for the course.

For machine learning you can look into one offered by coursera.

I thin you should read these books throughly as this will help you in preparing for internship interiews and also for the course.

For machine learning you can look into one offered by coursera.
Thank you Rachit. What if I have taken one machine learning course at UCB Summer Session? Can I just use that one as the pre-requisite? Thanks~

Hi, I also received a conditional offer : I have to complete the same preparation checklist before a deadline ( on November). Are you in the same case ? Did they give you a deadline ?

Hi, I also received a conditional offer : I have to complete the same preparation checklist before a deadline ( on November). Are you in the same case ? Did they give you a deadline ?

Hi~Yes, they gave me a set of pre-requisites before November. And they will conduct a monthly check on my progress.

I also wonder whether this means our admission is guaranteed if we successfully complete these pre-requisites.

I am in the same situation. I feel that the "offer" I received was not really clear ... ( they said that I will not be 'recommended' before I complete the preparation)

I am in the same situation. I feel that the "offer" I received was not really clear ... ( they said that I will not be 'recommended' before I complete the preparation)
Oh in my letter, they said this:
屏幕快照 2020-03-21 下午5.53.23.png

Are we in the same situation here? I think mine means as long as I can complete these courses and read these books, I will be given an admission.

Hi all, I just received the conditional offer from UCB MFE. But I am confused about the pre-requisite.

Does anyone know to which extent I should read these pre-requisite books? Does the committee conduct regular checks on my reading progress?

View attachment 34244

By the way, do you have any recommendations on where to take these pre-requisite courses online?

Thanks in advance!
My ODE/PDE endorsed by UCB online course is taken by students going to UCB.

There is student discount price. (dduffy@datasim.nl).

Pro Tip - do everything they suggest and more. This is foundational knowledge; if you have to acquire it during the program, you're going to have to give up recruiting. I wish I would have stopped working earlier before school and spent a few months getting up to speed; I was shocked by how well prepared my classmates were. This requirement from UCB I think is one of the strongest elements of their program.

Pro Tip - do everything they suggest and more. This is foundational knowledge; if you have to acquire it during the program, you're going to have to give up recruiting. I wish I would have stopped working earlier before school and spent a few months getting up to speed; I was shocked by how well prepared my classmates were. This requirement from UCB I think is one of the strongest elements of their program.
Thank you a lot for your genuine advice! :ROFLMAO:

Back