• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin Princeton 2012 Master in Finance Applications

Looking at the streaming Tracker data today, here is the trend I can see so far
  • Fresh graduates with high GPA/GRE but no relevant work experience does not really make the cut.
  • Those with relevant work experience, hence more marketable and employable, got a high probability to get an interview and get admitted.
  • Those with an admit is more likely to join the program.
Looking at the profiles of those getting admitted, they either have worked in finance or have some high level of potential of employ-ability (govt-scholarship with guaranteed job back home, etc).
This is not very surprising if you follow the Princeton program the past few years. They target a segment of the applicant pool that they know will do well when it comes to job placement. Those with previous jobs in finance will more likely to get a higher salary and associate-level positions instead of analyst. This in turn will do wonder for their placement record. And in turn will attract more applicants with these type of profiles.
Data for thoughts.

They target a segment of the applicant pool that they know will do well when it comes to job placement. Those with previous jobs in finance will more likely to get a higher salary and associate-level positions instead of analyst. This in turn will do wonder for their placement record. And in turn will attract more applicants with these type of profiles.
Data for thoughts.

This is what I was going for in my personal statement as well - have a high chance of getting employed at my firm's headquarters in the US. However, will other schools also stress more on this Associate over Analyst position?

Every program would want to admit those they think will have the best chance to compete in the job market. Obviously, they are limited by the capabilities of their applicant pool. If 80-90% of applicant pool is fresh graduates from China/India who never have worked in American corporate before, the programs can only look at things like grades, English skill, internship, etc ...without knowing how they will place on Wall Street.

It is a lot easier to fill a class of 20-30 people out of 700 applicants instead of finding 60-120 high qualified students out of 1000.

It comes down to my essential point that it's a matching process. Know your profile and needs and understand what each program is looking for and providing. Apply to those that match.

That does make sense, Andy. I can see how language skills play a part, since there are many internationals who're posting low GRE verbal and awa scores.
Could Stanford be seen in a similar light given their small class?

Hi Andy,

I am not in the Princeton program. Have applied to it. Just trying to get more info about the pgrm. If there is any Princeton MFin student here, could you please give some info about student groups ? Thanks !

My info is in the tracker already. I received my invite on January 4th, by e-mail. Princeton mentioned they will be interviewing ~130 candidates or so, if that helps. I'm straight out of undergrad, so don't lose hope! Good luck!
Hi twwsc, have you sent the so-called mid-year score to Princeton yet? I haven't finished all my final exams yet. I wonder if this might be something they consider for an interview invitation.

I have not. From the tracker no one has it seems (which gives me hope...last year interviews came out on Jan 5th).

Andy, do you think you can shoot their admissions office an email?

I have not. From the tracker no one has it seems (which gives me hope...last year interviews came out on Jan 5th).

Andy, do you think you can shoot their admissions office an email?

I received interview notification for Princeton just after New Years. I had my interview around a week ago. I really couldn't say if they are done with sending out interview invites though, because I got the impression I was one of the first to be notified (I was offered a choice of interview date from any week-day during the month of January, which I assume doesn't happen for most?).

I received interview notification for Princeton just after New Years. I had my interview around a week ago. I really couldn't say if they are done with sending out interview invites though, because I got the impression I was one of the first to be notified (I was offered a choice of interview date from any week-day during the month of January, which I assume doesn't happen for most?).
Have you checked the Tracker? Why you are there, please add your application timelines as well. It would help other applicants track and compare their own result.
Thanks

Back