• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin versus CMU MSCF

Hi all,
How would one rate these programs against each other? I was curious if it is better to apply to cmu only after hearing from princeton (typically at the end of february) instead of applying to both.
Thanks

haha, clever, i guess besides the obvious differences in class size (and school colors), princeton is more flexible in the course work. can you rate my chances of getting in to Princeton/CMU?

gmat 770,
phd in engineering from top 20 school
3 years experience in derivatives trading.
thanks

If you know about these programs deep enough, you will see it's an apple-orange comparison. There are more differences between them than similarities.
Apply to both and decide when/if you can get in.

can you rate my chances of getting in to Princeton/CMU?

gmat 770,
phd in engineering from top 20 school
3 years experience in derivatives trading.
thanks
I can't until I see your complete application.
Don't expect anyone to give you a meaningful answer with 3 lines of stats. For all I know, you can be an ideal candidate or an immediate reject after a quick 30 seconds glance.

Princeton is more prestigious. 2-year program. Based in Benheim (Math dept.)

CMU is better for job placement, career in Finance field, alumni network. 18 month program. Heavy on programming. Based in Tepper business school.

Seriously dude, with PhD from UCLA and 770 GMAT and 3 years experience, you should be looking at MBA from Harvard / Stanford / Wharton / Booth / Columbia / Stern.

princeton will most likely reject you. they frown upon overqualified candidates (and quite rightly so) , to which you certainly belong.

Princeton is more prestigious. 2-year program. Based in Benheim (Math dept.)

CMU is better for job placement, career in Finance field, alumni network. 18 month program. Heavy on programming. Based in Tepper business school.

Seriously dude, with PhD from UCLA and 770 GMAT and 3 years experience, you should be looking at MBA from Harvard / Stanford / Wharton / Booth / Columbia / Stern.

Most of UCLA engineering programs are among Top 15.

You could do the CMU program in New York (they have a floor at 55 Broad Street in downtown Manhattan, as do Cornell and NYU-Polytechnic) where they have a video relay from Pittsburgh, so you don't necessarily need to move to Pittsburgh for the duration of the program. The classes are in the evening, so you could work in NYC during the day.

For Princeton, it's a full-time/daytime program, so you basically need to move there.

Also, in terms of number of students, the Princeton program is quite small, while the CMU program is rather large.

thanks for all the inputs guys (and girls?), will keep these in mind if i do decide to apply to mfe/msf programs this year.

Back