Profile assessment - Aspiring Quant from a commerce background

Hi there, I am planning to apply for a masters this year and I am not sure where I stand. Would love to know your thoughts on the same.
Background:
Bachelors in commerce
Actuarial science from IFoA - cleared 12 out of 15 papers
FRM charterholder
CFA level 3 candidate
Work experience:
Currently validating exotic commodity derivatives such as floating strike European gas daily options, cash settled swaptions, gas storage facility, commodity margin loans, linear pricers on physical commodities, vol smile construction. The rest of my experience can be found in the attachment.

The reason I want to do a masters is to develop my coding skills. I am well versed with Finance and mathematics but I am a rookie at coding. I want to eventually become a quant researcher, developer or go into quantitative trading. I am not sure which masters would suit me the cost:
1. Masters in financial engineering
2. Masters in computer science ( very tough to get in since I have a bachelors in commerce even though I want to do this the most)
3. Masters in data science

I think I have a good chance in the top unis for financial engineering, very bad chance at computer science and I am not sure whether a data science masters would solve my purpose. Can anyone shed their thoughts on which masters would solve my purpose given I want to get into a good school?

Attachments

• Harsh_Desai_Resume.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 40
I'll recommend taking the QuantNet CPP and getting up to speed with the programming knowledge before applying for an MFE.
I think I have a good chance in the top unis for financial engineering, very bad chance at computer science and I am not sure whether a data science masters would solve my purpose. Can anyone shed their thoughts on which masters would solve my purpose given I want to get into a good school?
Please do check the tracker to understand how good of a chance you have to get into the Top MFEs.

Last edited:
Hi there, I am planning to apply for a masters this year and I am not sure where I stand. Would love to know your thoughts on the same.
Background:
Bachelors in commerce
Actuarial science from IFoA - cleared 12 out of 15 papers
FRM charterholder
CFA level 3 candidate
Work experience:
Currently validating exotic commodity derivatives such as floating strike European gas daily options, cash settled swaptions, gas storage facility, commodity margin loans, linear pricers on physical commodities, vol smile construction. The rest of my experience can be found in the attachment.

The reason I want to do a masters is to develop my coding skills. I am well versed with Finance and mathematics but I am a rookie at coding. I want to eventually become a quant researcher, developer or go into quantitative trading. I am not sure which masters would suit me the cost:
1. Masters in financial engineering
2. Masters in computer science ( very tough to get in since I have a bachelors in commerce even though I want to do this the most)
3. Masters in data science

Whoah you cleared 12 papers 😳
Aren't you looking complete all 15?