• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile assessment/improvement suggestions

Hello everyone,
This is a brief description of my profile
Undergrad:
Mechanical engineering from IIT Kharagpur (top 5 engineering colleges in India), CGPA: 8.87/10
Courses taken: Maths 1(A), Maths 2(A), Transform Calculus (Excellent), Partial Differential Equations (Excellent), probability and statistics(A), control systems (Excellent), programming and data structures (A)
CFA Level 1 cleared
Work experience:

1.5 years in RBS as Risk Analyst
1 year in credit Suisse as counter-party credit risk analyst.
Work experience has components ranging from coding in Python for automation purposes to understanding the model methodology for exposure computation of credit products like CDO’s, repo transactions, model calibration/monitoring etc.

I am looking for applying for courses staring in 2022 to top 10 US schools like CMU MFE, COLUMBIA MFE, UCB MFE, PRINCETON MFE, NYU MFE, MIT MFIN, UoW COMPUTATIONAL FINANCE.

Please help me with profile evaluation for the said colleges above and, what can I add to my profile to improve my chances in subsequent applications in later years toward the same goal.

I know that these sort of questions are frowned upon but please throw some insights since I am heavily considering this option.

Last edited:
Just revisiting this post after a long time. Is this profile not good enough to get a reply, any suggestions are most welcome

hey, i think you have a strong profile, some more relevant courses would've been great but these should be good enough too

focus on preparing a solid application (decent essays, recommendations, gre score)

you have a good shot at most top programs, if not at all of them, i'd be surprised if you don't get into any of the programs you listed

Thanks, @LeFed and @Sudhansh Dua for the valuable feedback, I will try to incorporate more details on the courses taken and improve my application essays.

Just gave my GRE and scored 330 (168Q + 162V), a bit disappointed with the Quant score tbh: shall I consider re-taking it for a better Quant score?

@Sudhansh Dua, this was a preliminary shortlist of colleges – I will probably drop MIT MFIN as I would be going only for Quant-focused ones.

Congratulations in advance bhaiya 🥵💫
Hello everyone,
This is a brief description of my profile
Undergrad:
Mechanical engineering from IIT Kharagpur (top 5 engineering colleges in India), CGPA: 8.87/10
Courses taken: Maths 1(A), Maths 2(A), Transform Calculus (Excellent), Partial Differential Equations (Excellent), probability and statistics(A), control systems (Excellent), programming and data structures (A)
CFA Level 1 cleared
Work experience:

1.5 years in RBS as Risk Analyst
1 year in credit Suisse as counter-party credit risk analyst.
Work experience has components ranging from coding in Python for automation purposes to understanding the model methodology for exposure computation of credit products like CDO’s, repo transactions, model calibration/monitoring etc.

I am looking for applying for courses staring in 2022 to top 10 US schools like CMU MFE, COLUMBIA MFE, UCB MFE, PRINCETON MFE, NYU MFE, MIT MFIN, UoW COMPUTATIONAL FINANCE.

Please help me with profile evaluation for the said colleges above and, what can I add to my profile to improve my chances in subsequent applications in later years toward the same goal.

I know that these sort of questions are frowned upon but please throw some insights since I am heavily considering this option

Last edited:
Thanks, @LeFed and @Sudhansh Dua for the valuable feedback, I will try to incorporate more details on the courses taken and improve my application essays.

Just gave my GRE and scored 330 (168Q + 162V), a bit disappointed with the Quant score tbh: shall I consider re-taking it for a better Quant score?

@Sudhansh Dua, this was a preliminary shortlist of colleges – I will probably drop MIT MFIN as I would be going only for Quant-focused ones.
what program are you in now?

GRE Quant should have been better. Write again and give. My GRE increased from 333 to 335 on rewriting!

Back