• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation 2023 Change Career Path

Hi!

1 Am I applying to the right tier of program? If not, any school suggestions would be highly appreciated. I am interested in quant research or trading and my long term goal is working in Hongkong or Singapore.

2 Do I need to take standard tests again to enhance my profile? (TOEFL/GRE/GRE subject)

3 Do I need to take C++ course on Quantnet?

4 How about the difficulty between round1 and round2? Which round should I apply?

Education

I will finish my first master degree summer 2023, I want to change my career path to quant research or trading.

Master: Top 22 US News University in USA

MS in Information System Management, DS track GPA: Pending

Bachelor: Top 20 University in China

BA Financial Mathematics GPA: 3.98

Relevant courses (All A except for JAVA):

Math and Stats

Mathematical Analysis I / II

Linear algebra

Matrix Data Mining

ODE / PDE

Real analysis / Functional Analysis

Measure Theory

Stochastic Process / Stochastic Calculus

Probability / Mathematical Statistics

Operation Research

Machine Learning / Deep Learning

Numerical Analysis

Econometrics / Time Series Analysis

CS

C++ I / II

Python (Intro / Computing / Quant Finance)

MATLAB

JAVA

R

VBA

Finance

Macro / Micro

Derivatives / Risk Management

Fixed Income Securities

Investment / Coporation Finance

Accounting

TOEFL 110 (R30 L30 S20 W30)

GRE: 158V/ 170Q/ 4 Writing

GRE Math Subject : 80%

Experience

1.5 years as analyst intern in Property Shop, Financial Engineering Group of Investment Bank and Macroeconomics Group

1.0 year research experience and several projects about time series, machine learning and option pricing

Letters of Rec

1 economist during my work

2 my Probability professor in my undergraduate school, in China

3 my Python professor in my graduate school, in USA

School Lists

Baruch MFE

Berkeley MFE

UChicago MSFM

Princeton MS Finance

Columbia MFE

Columbia MSFM

CMU MS Computational Finance

Oxford QCF

IC FinMath

NYU MSFM

Cornell MFE

Thank you for your advice.

First of all, amazing profile.

Secondly to answer your questions,
1) since you wish to work in Asia, I think the following schools should be your target in that order:
- Berkeley
- CMU
- Columbia, etc..
(not sure about Princeton, please check whether their graduates are working in Asia or not)

2) If your GRE is still valid, then you don't need to appear for that again. Regarding TOEFL/IELTS, since you have a masters from a US university, the english test requirement will be waived by I think all the schools.

3) You have relevant coursework in C++ so the QuantNet's CPP is not required, however, if you are interested in working at HFTs, I will suggest taking the Advanced CPP.

4) I can speak for UCB, no big difference, the admissions are on a rolling basis, which means they might waitlist a round 1 candidate but interview you even though you applied in round 2, i.e. if your profile is good enough for them.
However, for other schools, like CMU, which typically have only 2 rounds, please try to apply in round 1.

Good luck :)

Back