• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation + application advice please

Hi all,

I am an ignorant, helpless Brit looking for some US application advice and would really appreciate some assistance.

I am currently six months in as a consultant at a Tier 2 strategy firm (think Strategy&, Oliver Wyman etc.) in London. I am thinking of applying to an MFin or similar in the US to start in Autumn 2021.

My background: I read for a Bachelor's in Theoretical Physics at Imperial and for a Master's in Physics at Cambridge. In both places I ranked in the top 5 in my year. However, I anticipate that my application would be much weaker on the professional side, as I have no direct experience in finance.

I have a few questions:

1) How much do universities care about previous experience in finance? The closest thing I have is my FS experience in consulting.

2) By the time I apply, I would have ~15 months of full-time corporate experience. Is this too little?

3) Which US programmes would you recommend for someone who would like to work in London afterwards?

4) How much specificity do universities want when you apply in terms of desired career?

I appreciate this post was quite long and apologise for this. Any advice is received with great appreciation.

Your credentials are very strong. Based on my friends' application outcomes and backgrounds over the years, I believe you have very good shots at almost all the top US schools.

Your credentials are very strong. Based on my friends' application outcomes and backgrounds over the years, I believe you have very good shots at almost all the top US schools.

Thank you!

That sounds like a very impressive academic background. I'd say if you've fulfilled the course requirements (some linear algebra, probability, programming etc.) you should apply for the top programs.

Having no relevant experience should not bar you from applying, if anything, it makes perfect sense for someone to undertake an advanced degree in order to break into a certain industry. Surely relevant work experience would be good to have, but lack of it shouldn't be unexpected (also some programs do admit fresh graduates with excellent academic track record).

Hi all,

I am an ignorant, helpless Brit looking for some US application advice and would really appreciate some assistance.

I am currently six months in as a consultant at a Tier 2 strategy firm (think Strategy&, Oliver Wyman etc.) in London. I am thinking of applying to an MFin or similar in the US to start in Autumn 2021.

My background: I read for a Bachelor's in Theoretical Physics at Imperial and for a Master's in Physics at Cambridge. In both places I ranked in the top 5 in my year. However, I anticipate that my application would be much weaker on the professional side, as I have no direct experience in finance.

I have a few questions:

1) How much do universities care about previous experience in finance? The closest thing I have is my FS experience in consulting.

2) By the time I apply, I would have ~15 months of full-time corporate experience. Is this too little?

3) Which US programmes would you recommend for someone who would like to work in London afterwards?

4) How much specificity do universities want when you apply in terms of desired career?

I appreciate this post was quite long and apologise for this. Any advice is received with great appreciation.

Definitely the top five programs, you have a very strong profile that differentiates you from most applicants. Good luck, pretty sure you would be offered serious scholarship money!

Feel free to PM me, I went from consulting (also tier 2 shop) to a quant program in the states. I had more experience than you before making the switch though; my advice would be to actually do consulting for at least 1-2 years before leaving, so that you can at least make past one promotion cycle to show your capabilities and skills. You have a strong profile and should have no problem getting into any of the top programs.

Back