• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation Fall '19 and MSFE University Suggestions.

Hi, I want to know if my current profile would allow me to get into the top MSFE programs (CMU, Columbia, Cornell, UChicago..) for fall 2019 :

GRE 332 : Q 169, V 163 AWA : 3.5
Toefl : (yet to take)

Undergraduate CGPA : 7.88/10 (Graduated in August 2018)
Dual Degree program ( MSc Mathematics and B.E in Electronics and Communications Engineering) from one of the Tier 1 colleges in India (BITS Pilani)

Coursework (out of 10) Pretty average in some of the courses I think are relevant for MFE :
  • Prob Stats (8)
  • Calculus (7) Calculus 2 (7)
  • C Programming (7), Object Oriented Programming (8);
  • ODE (6), OR (7), Algebra 1 (6), PDE (6), Statistical Inference (7)
  • Security analysis and Portfolio Mgt (9)
Couple of Math projects in MATLAB (in image processing, tensor products).
Skills : C++, R, MATLAB, Python, VBA.

CFA Level 1 passed. (Level 2 Candidate June '19).

6 months internship Experience as a Quantitative Researcher in an Indian Based NBFC (Edelweiss), Proprietary Trading Desk :
- Worked on implementing alpha from a few Research papers, and also on coming up with new strategies. Predominantly used R and C++.
- Gained good knowledge of Bloomberg and R.

6 months internship as a Risk Analyst in the Equity & Derivatives Team in Credit Suisse :
- Gained knowledge of different products and the greeks of complex options (ex: Barrier)

Working as a Risk Analyst in the Market Risk Scenarios Team in Credit Suisse (since July 2018) :
- Building a catalogue of the major market events, showing its effect on various market products.
- Part of the ICAAP team, involved in assessing the capital mitigants required for the trading books - mainly illiquid products and forward looking market risk events (BREXIT, Italy crash, BoE etc)

I want to pursue an MFE coming Fall '19. I'm skeptical about a lot of things in my profile ( GRE Q not 170. AWA below 4. Not so great Grades in relevant courses and overall. No relevant research projects).
I feel like the colleges I am aiming for (CMU, Columbia, Cornell, UChicago) would need something in addition to my profile. (a USP if you please, correct me if I am wrong). I know the reasons I listed might look minor when singled out, but the profile, when aggregated, takes a beating I think.
Would doing any MOOC's help? or Trying for a Medal in the WorldQuant competitions?

Else, could you suggest any other good universities which you think I should consider for my current profile.

Thanks.

You should email the schools you are looking at and ask them question about your application and how you can improve it. This will help you much more, I think, then asking on the forum. For example CMU is doing a resume review in nyc and Pittsburg so maybe thats somewhere you can ask your questions. I know columbia also has open office hours everyday, so if again your in ny look into it.

You should email the schools you are looking at and ask them question about your application and how you can improve it. This will help you much more, I think, then asking on the forum. For example CMU is doing a resume review in nyc and Pittsburg so maybe thats somewhere you can ask your questions. I know columbia also has open office hours everyday, so if again your in ny look into it.
Yeah I agree. Just even emailing particular questions about the program/courses/professors shows interest, which can’t hurt.

You should focus on a good letter of purpose too. Admissions not only wants to know you can do the work but also why you want it and what you plan to do with it. Sort a “so what” argument I guess.

Oh! That's something that never crossed my mind. I didn't know they would be willing to do a resume review! That's perfect! I'll try to get in touch through mails since I am not in the US. Missed CMU's webinar last week, hope to catch the next one. Thanks @Michsund !

That's a good point @Mikey V !
Yes, I'm working on my letter of purpose at the moment. It's a huge task, will it give my best. Thanks!

Back