• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation (for an MIT Mfin hopeful)

So I'm currently a UG student at North Carolina State University.

Major: Nuclear Engineering
(NCSU is ranked #5 for nuclear eng. and Top 30 for engineering overall)
Minor: Political Science

GPA: 3.82 (I expect it to stay at this number until I graduate)

GRE Q: 170
GRE V: 165
GRE W: 5.0

Limited Work Experience:

Research internships at university. Involved computational work. Monte Carlo simulations of neutron transport models and such.

Relevant coursework:

Calc I - III
Differential Equations I-II
Statistics for Engineers
FORTRAN

Other Skills:
C++
MATLAB
Maple

I'm hoping to get a feel for what my chances of gaining admission to MIT's Mfin program would be.

If additional information could be provided about my chances at

Princeton
CMU
Cornell
Berkeley

for Mfin/MFE could be provided that would also be great.

Thanks in advance!

From an academic perspective, your background/GRE is solid and will not hinder your chances of getting into MIT. However, as you may have expected, your work experience is not as good. For this program at least, I would definitely focus on getting an internship for this coming summer.

What you have to understand is that you will be competing against students from Ivy League schools, and students with full-time experience in Investment Banking and such at top firms. NC State is a good school, but as most students coming into this program have at least some work experience through internships (average is around 17 months I believe, please check the website fro a more accurate figure), I would advise that you do so as well.

CMU and Cornell you have a chance to get in.

Princeton probably reject but I have no experience with them.

Also, rankings for undergraduate specific PROGRAMS do not matter much. Its the undergraduate school as a whole.

From my experience, MIT wants people in the T30 on US News (not program specific). I interviewed, know about 8 people at the program and also got to look at the class profile book with ALL the students at Sloan (MBA, EMBA, MFIN etcc...) and where they graduated from. Try to get a solid internship at a BB and also get an offer from the BB before you apply. Wealth management doesn't count. Then you'll have a chance.

Back