• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation for finance related courses

I'm in kind of a unique situation where I'm interested in a Masters in Finance/ Financial Economics/ Financial Engineering course, but I don't currently study in the states. [Possibly to the Top 10 in the QuantNet list + Oxford + Cambridge + LSE]

I am currently a final year student in the University of Warwick, studying BSc Economics with a predicted First Class Honors. My school doesn't really do GPA like in the states and usually awards first class honors if you get above 70% average, it's the UK system basically. I can't find any information regarding how this translates to a US score or how admission officers look at it. Any advice will be appreciated.

However, I have little finance experience. The only work experience I have is two years in the Armed Forces. In addition I am a member of Professional Risk Managers' International Association (PRMIA) and Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) Association, not sure if these will give me any advantage. Does anyone have any knowledge if such qualifications confer any advantages to applicants applying for Finance related masters? You'd have to pass 4 risk management related exams for PRMIA and 2 exams for CAIA in order to become a member.

I just took my GRE today and got V164 Q167. I couldn't finish a maths question and left it blank, allowing me to think that I could have scored better (the last two marks was probably careless mistakes). Looking at the QuantNet admissions tracker most top quant programs admit people with perfect GRE Quant scores. I'm wondering if I should retake (I might not get higher than 167), and are GRE Quant scores that important in the higher end scale? I mean at 167 vs 168 vs 169 vs 170 its not really that much about skills anymore but how careful you are (of which I am not). Having said that the admission tracker shows alot of 170s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi demonicangelz,
I can tell you something as regards the UK institutions you mentioned.
Cambridge, Oxford and LSE require a 1st class Hons (2.1 only in exceptional cases) , so you're on the right track. They all consider previous experience a plus, but it is not mandatory.
LSE strongly suggest to take the GMAT instead of the GRE (MSc Finance). For the MSc Financial Mathematics, no test is required.
The exams you take in order to become a member of PRMIA and CAIA are a clear sign of your interest in Finance, and they will be surely of great advantage during the admission process.

Thanks for the advice. One of the few things I can change now is my GRE score. Should I retake in a month's time? And is the mystical 170 that important? Or can I make do with 167..

Don't think more practice will do much good. Just depends on the paper that day.

Back