• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation for MFE 2022

Hi folks, would request critical assessment of my chances of
(a) getting into a top rated MFE/MS Fin course (Baruch, UC Berkley, Columbia, Princeton, MIT etc)
(b) getting a good job offer after graduation given my 14Y work experience (Age 37Y)

My background:
- Bachelors in Electronics Engg from IIT (top tier college in India) - A grade in all the quantitative/Math courses. Had done some programming in C/C++ as well (I'd say Intermediate level)
- MBA from IIM (amongst top 2 business schools in India) - 100 percentile in quant aptitude in the entrance exam. overall CGPA wasnt great (~2.8/4 as I didnt pay much attention to the marketing/HR courses. However have an ‘A’ grade in International Finance, Financial Derivatives, Quantitative Methods, Econometrics amongst others while topping some of them in a competitive class

14 years work experience from a bulge bracket US bank in Mumbai in a front office Sales & structuring role. Well versed in derivatives (FX/Rates/Equities) from a front office perspective and have a very good intuitive understanding of these
- Initially started out in structuring dealing in vanilla/exotic derivative products and did python programming in monte carlo pricers to price derivatives
- over the years, as markets changed, moved to a primarily sales role (& some structuring) and have dealt with large Indian/MNC corporate & institutional clients with respect to their FX & rates hedging/risk management/trading/arbitrage activity etc
- have a good macro understanding of markets along with experience of fundamental/technical analysis of these
- Am close to becoming a Director and am managing a small team currently (even though I understand managerial experience may not be of much use?)

I was always quant oriented during my undergrad/MBA time and was keen on getting into finance roles which were quant/Math heavy. however there weren't too many roles at that time here in India & over the years, i kept drifting further away

From a grade/Money perspective, i would be actually taking a few steps back by pursing a Masters now but I am willing to pursue my passion and think Long term. I do think i have a good amount of career left :). I would also like to know if my work experience would count against me when it comes to finding job opportunities

My current knowledge of the Math/programming would be a little bit hazy given its been many years but I don't see this a problem if I was to do a few refresher courses

I also haven't given GMAT yet but i am confident of scoring 100% in quant and a high overall score ( maybe 740/750+)

Last edited:
Back