• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation for MFE Fall 2023

v_k

Hi All !
Based on my profile, could you please tell me what chances I have of getting accepted in any of those ? If not, any school suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Education
BITS Pilani, top 10 Indian Engineering College, #1 Private Engineering College in India
B.E. Electronics and Instrumentation
GPA: 9.1/10
GRE: 154V/ 166Q (320)

Relevant courses :

Math, Computer Science :
  • Calculus 1: 7/10
  • Probability & Statistics: 7/10
  • Differential Equations: 10/10
  • Linear Algebra: 10/10
  • Computer Programming: 9/10

Finance:
  • Fundamentals of Finance & Accounting : 10/10
  • Derivatives & Risk Management: 10/10
  • Business Analysis & Valuation: 10/10
  • Financial Management : 10/10
  • Principles of Economics: 10/10
  • Security Analysis & Portfolio Management: 10/10

Work Experience

Internships:
  • Interned in the Cash Trading Client Review Team- Credit Risk Management Division of a global investment bank - 6 months (quantitative finance)
  • 2 research internships include Columbia Business School(analytical finance) and Indian Institute of Management(quantitative finance) - (12 months in total)
  • 2 months internship at a brokerage firm (league of Fortune 500) (analytical finance)
  • 2 months internship at a market intelligence platform (related to NLP)
  • Founding team member and Quantitative Researcher in a VC backed automated investing startup(4 months)

Miscellaneous:
1 Research Paper published in an international journal related to quantitative finance.

Schools
Here's where I'm planning on applying. Please suggest some safe schools also if possible. Again, let me know if this list is reasonable:
MIT MFin
Columbia Financial Engineering
NYU Tandon Financial Engineering
Cornell Financial Engineering
UChicago MSFM
GA Tech MS Quant. and Comp. Finance.
UCLA Financial Engineering

Thank you for your advice.

You have a great profile, I wouldn't worry too much about "safe" schools. I think there are some on your list that I would consider a safe bet for you.
Apply ambitiously, add Baruch, CMU and Berkeley to your list.

BITS Pilani is not considered as a "top 10" Indian college(because of their dismal NIRF and QS rankings) by some universities like Baruch so that might be an issue. Be careful about spinning your credit risk role as a quant role. afaik the role you're talking about doesn't come under "Quantitative Research" or "Strats"

Back