• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

[Profile Evaluation] MFE/MSMF 2017 for

Hi friends,

I am an MFE aspirant and I would like to know, if I stand a decent chance at some good programmes in the US.

Background and work-ex:
  • Working as a credit risk analyst at a big bank. Working knowledge of market and credit risk metrics (EE,EPE,CVA).
  • Passed CFA 2. Part of a training programme held by a leading derivatives trader and consultant. Decent knowledge of financial products.
  • Programming experience (in a procedural language though not OOPS) for 5 yrs.
  • CS Engineer from a Tier II, College. CGPA = 7/10. Have studied probability-stats, linear algebra and differential equations as part of my course.
Pre-MFE Prep
  • Solved and worked through Differential & Integral Calculus, N. Piskunov
  • Solved and worked through Introduction to Real Analysis, Bartle
  • Reading Bartle's elements of integration and Lebesgue Measure
The schools I have in mind - Baruch, NYU, Cornell, UCLA, Boston, University of Washington, Georgia Tech, NYU-Poly and Rutgers.

I would appreciate any feedback. Sorry about the length of the post. :)

Reading habits, self-learning:
  • Ardent reader, my favorite reads are Options volatility and pricing by Sheldon Natenburg,Black Scholes and beyond by Neil Chriss
  • Built an excel VBA based FX options trading and P&L simulator (using GK model), which allows you to enter trades in the portfolio, generates time-bucketed risk reports – delta, gamma, vega, theta, rho and phi. Allows you to simulate various volatility spreads.

• Built a simple excel tool to enter FX spot, Buy/Sell or Sell/Buy Spot over 6m FX swaps, calculate MTM values, drawing daily P&L, market risk reports.

• Built a simple mathematica module to accept a list of input securities and generate the MVF, optimal portfolio using Lagrange’s multipliers.

Last edited:
You have a decent shot at all the schools though Baruch, NYU, Cornell, UCLA, University of Washington are the only schools worth investing time and money.

Though post qualification job is a whole diff question.

Back