• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Review for MFE

I am keenly interested in the Financial Engineering aspect. Let me begin with my brief background:
Undergrad - Physics (with courses on advanced calculus and advanced algebra) from a non-descript college
Graduation - MBA (majoring in Banking & Finance) from a non-descript college
First Job - Middle Office compliance in a Distressed Asset Resolution Company for 3 years
Second Job - Corporate Lending in a Bank for 5 years
Recently moved to Fraud Investigation in Bank
Programming Knowledge - Familiar with C Programming. Presently self-training in Python.
Statistics Knowledge - Self-Training in Advanced Statistics (Part of Actuarial Mathematics)
GRE - Not yet Taken
Present age - 33

I have always been fascinated by the cross-functional aspects of finance and I have developed a keen interest in Credit Risk Modelling. Given my background with literally zero programming experience, I am not seen as a potential candidate for such job. With significant programming syllabus amalgamated with Finance, MFE seemed like a decent qualification to get my foot in the door. Also, I want to improve my pedigree, and want to attend a decent course at a decent university. I was planning to aim for courses beginning in Spring 2021, by when I would be 35. I am not sure if I would be an ideal candidate for the program, or if admitted, I would be an outlier in the batch.

I wanted an opinion from the present students/experienced MFE holders, if my profile holds any possible value to the MFE course? If not, then what other course could I do to get into Credit Risk Modelling/ Fraud Risk Modelling ?

1. You would be an outlier. Recruiting will be difficult, most internships won't really be a good fit, so you'll have to put extra into recruiting.
2. Unless you're a complete autodidact, it's not certain self education will provide enough of a mathematical foundation. Check the pre-reqs for the baruch, UCB, CMU, etc. Many require proven coursework. I applied without coursework,was rejected. I applied with coursework, accepted. To a few.

I would decide if you want to do the degree and go from there rather than making a conditional probability on your est chances of getting in. It's more about the value you'll get. TBH, credit / fraud / risk modeling aren't the target jobs for a lot of folks in these programs, so you'll be more competitive for such internships. It's good you know what you want - that will help you w/ more compelling applications.

In terms of alternatives, I'm not sure how much MFE is actually required for the roles you describe. Try to find folks on linked in and see.

Back