• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Properly backtested strategy a resume booster?

Hello Quantnet.com forumers,

Working in a quant hedge fund for a good two years, I've got a better feel of what defines a working automated strategy.

I'm subscribing to the notion that what's out there in the public (e.g. technical analysis, basic rules) can only get you so far. It's really the secret techniques, those used by D.E. Shaw, that give you exorbitant returns. Add the non-scalability of certain strategies due to spreads trading tens of millions, then there's an obvious difference between a strategy that works on a NinjaTrader platform and one that is used by hedge funds.

Question: Is writing the performance with PROPER metrics of my backtested strategy a resume booster?

When I say proper metrics, I mean that used by the professionals dealing with large A.U.M's. Something like Sharpe ratio 2.0, works on 5 pairs of G10's over ten years, includes transaction cost for trading 10mil.

I've screened many candidates wanting to work in my hedge fund and to me it's not attractive seeing their claims of owning a profitable strategy which works outrageously well but in very limited conditions. They link me to Myfxbook only to find this supposedly good strategy based on one asset, backtested only two months, doesn't account for spread, has a very bad month.

Now that I'm experienced in the industry, I know the difference between curve fitting a strategy to show off and devising one based on sound methodology and is properly tested.

Cheers,
Phil

Essentially, I want future employers and recruiters to know I'm not just bull****ing some strategy but actually have one, though complex using uncommon techniques, that actually works at an institutional level.

What ya'll think?

Back