• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pursuing a degree in FE

Hi,

I am currently an undergraduate at both University College London and London School of Economics pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering with Business Finance. I am considering to study a masters in Financial Engineering because I think I'm too young to work (I graduate when I'm 20) and most importantly, I want to understand more about finance before working, especially the quantitative side to it.

However, I saw that financial engineering is more about trading and I'm actually more interested in corporate finance and even asset management. Will a financial engineering degree help me with pursue these fields or is it strictly for trading-oriented careers? Thanks.

If you're interested in corporate finance and asset management, an MBA is a better choice, and gives you more options in the long run. Unless it's specifically quant oriented careers, an MFE probably wouldn't be suitable. Having said that, your background in mechanical engineering would probably be a good foundation for MFE degrees.

However, it is the norm to have at least some full-time work experience before pursuing an MBA. With regards to age, I am in a similar boat, graduating (in 4 years) by the age of 21, but I am intending to go into full-time work for 1-2 years before pursuing an MFE. I say embrace your age and get into the work-force as soon as possible, if career progression is your goal. You could also take a year off after studying to travel or be involved with non-profits internationally, perhaps, in a business oriented way - this would give you hands on experience whilst becoming more mature.

Good luck.

PS: UCL alumni here!

If you're interested in corporate finance and asset management, an MBA is a better choice, and gives you more options in the long run. Unless it's specifically quant oriented careers, an MFE probably wouldn't be suitable. Having said that, your background in mechanical engineering would probably be a good foundation for MFE degrees.

However, it is the norm to have at least some full-time work experience before pursuing an MBA. With regards to age, I am in a similar boat, graduating (in 4 years) by the age of 21, but I am intending to go into full-time work for 1-2 years before pursuing an MFE. I say embrace your age and get into the work-force as soon as possible, if career progression is your goal. You could also take a year off after studying to travel or be involved with non-profits internationally, perhaps, in a business oriented way - this would give you hands on experience whilst becoming more mature.

Good luck.

PS: UCL alumni here!

Thank you for your advice! I'm actually really happy that an ucl alum replied to me hahaha.

Back