• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Developer with only C++ knowledge

Hello,

Little info on my background: I did bachelors in CS and MBA in management (not from top school). I have 3+ years of experience in designing and implementing procurement systems.

IT skills: C++, Java, XML, SQL, Javascript.

I have very strong desire to work in the financial industry (with no real knowledge). I want to become a quant developer. Can I become a quant developer with C++ skill and strong desire to work in the finance. I cannot go to school for PT/FT for MFE. Will any certification like CFA level1 or CQF help to become quant developer if C++ is not enough? Please suggest some path.

thanks in advance.

You might squeeze into a quant dev role if your C++ was very good, have to say that is a higher filter than it sounds.

I have also been wondering about C++ experience alone. Right now I am working on a bachelors in computer science, and after this I would like to pursue a masters degree in computer science or computational finance. Am I at a disadvantage having little background in mathematics? The computer science curriculum at my school requires math to calculus 2 and linear algebra. Is that enough, or should I perhaps minor in mathematics, or even go on to graduate school in mathematics? I'm really trying to balance my education so that I'm not bound to working in industry as a programmer, nor bound to moving to the city to be a quantitative developer/analyst.

Connor, I would love to program in industry, and I would also love to be a quant developer. I just mean I want the option to do something I would love (quant-dev in the city), OR stay in my current location (which I like a lot) and get a job in industry. I wouldn't want to be virtually barred from finance by not taking enough math, nor would I want to go through a graduate program that would be unrelated to my career (Though I suppose I would have time to figure that out, so mostly my question was about the math required past basic CS math).

Also, thank you for your answer.

Connor, I would love to program in industry, and I would also love to be a quant developer. I just mean I want the option to do something I would love (quant-dev in the city), OR stay in my current location (which I like a lot) and get a job in industry. I wouldn't want to be virtually barred from finance by not taking enough math, nor would I want to go through a graduate program that would be unrelated to my career (Though I suppose I would have time to figure that out, so mostly my question was about the math required past basic CS math).

Also, thank you for your answer.

If you look at the websites of different MFE programs, you'll see several common prerequisites for just about all of them. Those being: linear algebra, calculus 1,2,3, probability theory (calculus based), differential equations, statistics, stochastic processes, and real analysis. I can't say whether or not these courses would be sufficient for a quant developer position because I have no experience, but it should give you a taste of some of the math that might be required of you.

Back