• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Intern: What should I read up on

I have an interview coming up next week in London for a quant role within a top German bank.

The role is within the market risk department doing pricing and model validation from what the job spec. Is indicating.

It seems that I'll be validating derivative pricing models as well as verifying and validating exotic trade bookings for equities and commodities.

I am a BSc. Physics grad. I did my dissertation on VaR but I don't really know much about derivative pricing or anything about the process of booking exotic trades. I am a damn quick learner though. I've taught myself most of my MF knowledge and find it interesting and easy to pick up.

I have two questions:
1. Can anyone explain to me the basics and challenges of exotic order booking or link me to a good source.

2. Can anyone point me in the direction of an introduction to derivative pricing or just give me the names of some currently used industry models that I can investigate?
As a guide to the level I'm at in pricing, I've written a binomial tree option pricing model in Fortran and proved it's convergence to BSM and I'm looking for something a bit more intense.

Thanks!

Thanks the OCC was really informative, as for Hull do you mean Options, Futures and Derivatives? Also which book by Figlewski do you reckon is the one I should check out?

Thanks the OCC was really informative, as for Hull do you mean Options, Futures and Derivatives? Also which book by Figlewski do you reckon is the one I should check out?
Yes.

For Figlewski, the Financial Options book. The first 100 pages explain the notion of the replicating portfolio exceptionally well. When I read that (20-odd years ago), the light went on.

Also, Steve Allen has some stuff on model risk in his book, I think.

Back