• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Preparation

Hi all, I'm new here..

I had no idea what a quant was until a couple of weeks ago when I started researching jobs for someone with an MS in math as an emergency backup plan in case I didn't get into a PhD program.

As it turns out, I did get into the PhD program, but now I am really interested in becoming a quant. My question is this: most jobs seem to want a PhD from a "top" university. What exactly does "top" mean?

My PhD will be in applied math with a highly computational focus (probably fluid mechanics) at a top 25 program in the US. Is this enough to qualify me for some quant jobs?

Also, does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be better to try and fit finance into my thesis or if I should just do some reading on the side over the next few years?

Thanks for your input...

Back