• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant researcher at Akuna Capital (career advice)

Hey all,

Sorry for the long message below which lists out some of the questions that I am seeking answers to. I would really appreciate if experts here could advise me on any of them:

A short introduction about myself - I have 10+ years of experience in data science / modelling /ML but never worked for a trading firm before. My work has been mostly into credit risk (IRB and decision models) in banks. However, currently, I am interviewing for this trading firm - Akuna capital and have been through the first phone screen. I have a code pair coming up early next year. Being a newbie to the quant roles and work in the trading firms; I am looking for some advice regarding the following:

1. How is the culture and reputation of AC as against other similar prop trading shops such as Optiver, Citadel, etc.?

2. What could be the possible range of compensation (base and bonus) I can be looking at? This has not been discussed by the HR yet. I am currently in Melbourne, Australia and the role is in Sydney.

3. If in future, I were to move to the US from Australia (because that is where the action lies for FAANG or trading companies); will my experience at AC be sufficient enough to attract the attention of headhunters / recruiters despite the fact that I will be overseas? (won't be needing an H1B sponsorship). Though, my plan is to workout an internal transfer to the US, if I get to join AC.

4. My motivation to move from credit risk to trading is to gain experience in ML / statistics applied to trading. The other motivation is hopefully a much higher compensation in the world of algorithmic trading. Do you think these could be the right motivating factors?

Thanks in advance

were you able to get an interview as a experienced candidate without another fresh degree?
Yes. I did. Is that not a common thing? I got through the first round which was math. I answered all the questions correctly. But then I failed the next round of programming (quite developer focused)!!

Yes. I did. Is that not a common thing? I got through the first round which was math. I answered all the questions correctly. But then I failed the next round of programming (quite developer focused)!!
Hi, what was your first round like? For me, it was loads of maths, 5 coding mcq and 2 coding problems. I passed. The programming round you are mentioning - was it a codepair?

Hey all,

Sorry for the long message below which lists out some of the questions that I am seeking answers to. I would really appreciate if experts here could advise me on any of them:

A short introduction about myself - I have 10+ years of experience in data science / modelling /ML but never worked for a trading firm before. My work has been mostly into credit risk (IRB and decision models) in banks. However, currently, I am interviewing for this trading firm - Akuna capital and have been through the first phone screen. I have a code pair coming up early next year. Being a newbie to the quant roles and work in the trading firms; I am looking for some advice regarding the following:

1. How is the culture and reputation of AC as against other similar prop trading shops such as Optiver, Citadel, etc.?

2. What could be the possible range of compensation (base and bonus) I can be looking at? This has not been discussed by the HR yet. I am currently in Melbourne, Australia and the role is in Sydney.

3. If in future, I were to move to the US from Australia (because that is where the action lies for FAANG or trading companies); will my experience at AC be sufficient enough to attract the attention of headhunters / recruiters despite the fact that I will be overseas? (won't be needing an H1B sponsorship). Though, my plan is to workout an internal transfer to the US, if I get to join AC.

4. My motivation to move from credit risk to trading is to gain experience in ML / statistics applied to trading. The other motivation is hopefully a much higher compensation in the world of algorithmic trading. Do you think these could be the right motivating factors?

Thanks in advance
Hi, I am currently an IT student at ANU and my dream work is to be a quant. For the master of DS and master of IT from the University of Melbourne, which one is better? Thank you very much.

Hi, what was your first round like? For me, it was loads of maths, 5 coding mcq and 2 coding problems. I passed. The programming round you are mentioning - was it a codepair?
Hey , I got OA invite for ML role. I know it’s been an year for you, but can you tell me the how were the questions and what concepts should I go through before attempting?

Back