Quantitative Risk Management Courses

Radhika

Hi

I wanted some advice in terms of the course to pursue for quantitative risk management. I have around 10 years banking exp and have worked in ops risk and audit. Due to increasing regulations, I am now expected to evaluate quantitative models that calculate the reg capital, risk models etc.

I would prefer part time preferably online course..

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Vishal Varadharajan

C++ Student
Ken,

I'm a mechanical engineer ( having a quantitative background in multivariate calculus, linear algebra, probability & statistics & Partial Differential Equations, Optimization & Operations Research). I gathered interest in finance very recently when preparing for CFA & FRM exams this year.

My question is does clearing professional courses like FRM or CFA aid in the application process of MFE/MSCF ?

Ken Abbott

Managing Director
Ken,

I'm a mechanical engineer ( having a quantitative background in multivariate calculus, linear algebra, probability & statistics & Partial Differential Equations, Optimization & Operations Research). I gathered interest in finance very recently when preparing for CFA & FRM exams this year.

My question is does clearing professional courses like FRM or CFA aid in the application process of MFE/MSCF ?
I can't speak to the application process. I teach at several programs, but I 'm not involved in the admitting process.

I doubt they would have much impact, though. These programs a good ways to focus you attention on material that is useful for work. I certainly don't use them as a screen when hiring people.

Cassagnon Yeo

Hello Ken,

I have 4 years experience as a functional business Analyst with no experience in the financial industry but I have experience working with Excel, VBA, Access and SQL. I have a strong interest in Risk management and would like to land a job in the field using my business analyst experience, then entering the MFE in Fall 2014. What advice would you give?

My plan was to pass a certification CFA or FRM to get a job in the field, but would that help?
What certification would you recommend CFA or FRM? FRM is more oriented to risk management but CFA has more recognition?

Regards,
Harold

Cassagnon Yeo

PS: I do have a MS in Finance since 2010 and currently working for the as Business Analyst for a non profit organization

Ken Abbott

Managing Director
Hello Ken,

I have 4 years experience as a functional business Analyst with no experience in the financial industry but I have experience working with Excel, VBA, Access and SQL. I have a strong interest in Risk management and would like to land a job in the field using my business analyst experience, then entering the MFE in Fall 2014. What advice would you give?

My plan was to pass a certification CFA or FRM to get a job in the field, but would that help?
What certification would you recommend CFA or FRM? FRM is more oriented to risk management but CFA has more recognition?

Regards,
Harold
CFA is a great qualification, but not necessarily for risk management. The FRM is much better for risk, but I think it's pointless to get it before you actually have a job. Unless you understand the applications, it's simply a massive reading list. You'll have no context at all.

When I review resumes and I see that an experienced person has the FRM, I think "well, they must have studied hard". When I see someone with an FRM and no experience, I think "Why did they bother? How could they possibly understand what risk is about?"