• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

QuantNet Swags

@Ken Abbott suggested a great idea that we provide QuantNet-branded swags to members who help answer questions on our site.
This is something we definitely should do given we have many wonderful members here who are now practitioners in finance. It's good to help out fellow members but it's better to have a system to reward good answers. We have a points, trophy system in place and will look to incorporate that into a rewarding system.

In the mean time I'm open to what kind of swags are most useful to you.

Last edited:
"Swag" has multiple connotations and is not a common term.
What is a swag, precisely?

I hope they outgrew it!! but at one point our youngest kid dragged us to a live Metallica concert... And we used to hear very loud Rammstein lyrics from car stereo... and had a bunch of corresponding T-shirts.

That made me think of 2 more U.S. usages of the word "swag":

Kids come to someone's birthday, bring cards and gifts, and every guest receives a "swag bag" with identical small gifts

Celebrities gather for en event, and some people receive gift bags with free samples - example.

As to Andy's question, which promotional merch was most useful to me, that would be a Bloomberg-branded high-quality black umbrella that had wind vents, lasted for years, and looked good too.
automatic-travel-umbrella-with-wind-vent-different[1].jpg

Other examples of promotional merch that displayed someone's promotional logo and that I appreciated and found useful over the years:

* clothes such as t-shirts, baseball/golf hats, or vests (Patagonia no longer does corportate vests, but there are much better choices out there)
06a8738b6ae6dfc287aa4c996d8f4e71[1].jpg
641826cd732fe0.79251724[1].jpg

s-l1600[1].jpg
* drawstring knapsack / tote bag / duffel bag / banker bag, beach or gym towels, lunch bag, luggage tag

61ZRj41aHxL._AC_SL1024_[1].jpg

m_63e3213e5d686bda578282ed[1].jpg

* pocket protector / card holder
81YTry5h1KL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

* touchscreen stylus . Fancier ones include flashlight or a laser pointer.
streamlight_65024_led_stylus_flashlight_white_1180564[1].jpg

* squeeze balls / fidget toys
7a89234a-111d-497a-bd0a-dd2d80eae969_1.c57f8bccb616562bc047f7ec91f8b811[1].jpeg

* mugs and bottles
51kXewLNVGL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

61zdAThBNvL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

lil_roc_1064[1].jpg

* mouse pad with wrist support. Maybe even a wireless charger
71RJFZNrdyL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

monitor mirrors
41jXdfj5jKL._AC_[1].jpg

41bvFmJozAL._AC_[1].jpg

* folding purse hook / hanger

s-l1600[1].jpg

* Tide To Go stain remover pen, lip balm, hand sanitizer

* I am not a fan of anything electricity-related, although something like a popsocket, or a USB powered light or fan, or an external battery, might work

* tchochkes that are less useful, but may look cute: pennants, decals, lapel pins, stickers, fridge magnets, stationery
majko-muzeumtotality.online-socializmus.sk-Sered-72-vlajka-Dul-Klement-Gottwald-k.p.-Kladno-zl...jpg

432a08f4-6a58-4a21-a8e3-ecf081d0d359.81d9e11b90d7e293a15f01db633f1ccc[1].jpeg

(this is a working Galileo thermometer)
71TpFL7Wl3S._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

(this is a working abacus)
511LpwzvshL._AC_SL1001_[1].jpg

(Newton's cradle)
wooden-adult-gift-puzzle-set[1].jpg

Vintage-Metal-Brain-Teaser-Puzzles-with-Stand-Game-Toys-for-Adults-Children[1].jpg

(brain teaser puzzles)
Basically, much of what thinkgeek used to sell before they closed.

The above merch might be great to given away to everyone who shows up to an industry event, or is willing pay a few dollars for mail order.

But, in the context that Andy and Ken first brought up - rewarding people for good answers in the forum - I think an even better reward might be an autographed book. Something like "Volatility Cube" (book title made up), inscribed by the author - "this book was presented to (recipient) for a good answer on QuantNet". I'm not sure how expensive this might be, though. Another possibility might be a glass "tombstone" engraved with the Q&A.

Attachments

• 51l+QKwF7RL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg
    51l+QKwF7RL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
mine actually started university as a music major. But then he decided that other things are more fun to study in class.
We do have a piano and a formidable collection of guitars, all of which he practices sometimes.

All of our family are/were into music,
My grandad was a drum major in a pipe band. His son emigrated to NYC and worked in Wall St. A few times played with NYPD pipe band.

Attachments

• pipenband.pdf
    169.7 KB · Views: 4
Back