• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

quants and investment management firms

So I know that traditionally, quants work for the sales and trading division of ibanks to price derivatives and model complicated financial instruments. However, what do quants do exactly in investment management firms (mutual funds, portfolio management, etc.)? Are they still involved in trading, or any types of front office positions? Thanks!

Isn't it mostly asset allocation/portfolio optimization?

so financial engineers mainly work with portfolio managers in the area of portfolio optimization? how about quantitative investment strategies (model building/risk management/etc)? or is that more ibank related?

I'm not exactly sure. My knowledge is limited. Maybe someone with experience can elaborate.

Back