• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

question about a PDE

I'm trying to teach myself PDEs over the summer, so I can take more advanced math classes in the fall. I just started a few days ago, and I'm stuck on a problem. I'm sure the problem probably seems easy, but I can't seem to solve it properly.

(y*u_{x} + x*u_{y} = 0)
(U(0,y) = e^{-{y^{2}}})

I did the following:
(\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x}{y}) which after integrating becomes:
(y^{2} = x^{2} + c)

Solving for c, and plugging in the specified condition (U(0,y) = e^{-{y^{2}}}) yields
(y^{2} - x^{2} = c)
(f(c) = e^{-{y^{2}}})
(f(y^{2} - x^{2}) = e^{-{y^{2}}})
(f(y^{2} - 0^{2}) = e^{-{y^{2}}})
(f(y^{2}) = e^{-{y^{2}}})

Now this is where I'm getting a bit confused.
(y^{2} = x^{2} - c) therefore
(f(y^{2}) = e^{-{y^{2}}} = e^{-{x^{2} - c}})

But the correct answer is
(u(x,y) = e^{x^{2}-y^{2}})

I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong and it seems something simple. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

your main issue is that you're implicitly assuming the boundary condition holds everywhere. it doesn't.

i.e. ($u(x,y) = f(c) = f(y^2-x^2) \neq e^{-y^2}$)

Duh! I feel dumb. I overlooked the fact that the solution is uniquely determined in (xy) plane only where (x^{2}\leq y^{2})

Thank you

forty two,

You wouldn't happen to be in my PDEs class would you? I literally just did this problem 40 minutes ago for homework.

MLBrandow,

I take it you're in Dr. Ewalds PDE class? I'm in the class too. Yea, its funny that someone posted that question, I just finished the homework a while ago also. But I'd be surprised if there is a 3rd FSU student on Quantnet.

Back