• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about CMO Tranch Type

Hello,

I've tried to find some more detailed information about CMO tranche structures.

Can anyone recommend any paper or book that have introduction to the tranche structure of CMO: say,
(1) what makes a companion tranch in CMO? Can I say a SUSS Companion tranch, because it surbodinate to the Senior one?
(2) what is WAR defined under CMO tranches ?

:sos::sos:

Thanks a lot.

CMP/SUP tranches are usually ones highly effected by prepayments. There's no seniority/sub as best I can tell.

What do you mean by WAR?

I have some Fabozzi books you can borrow.

Thank you Mike!

"CMP/SUP tranches are usually ones highly effected by prepayments. There's no seniority/sub as best I can tell."

--- So, in other words, can I think of CMP/SSUP as kind of independent tranch that used to absorb prepayment risk.

WAR --- should be tranche type, but somehow I couldn't figure out. Bloomberg doesn't have the description for WAR neither..

I think thats correct but I havent looked at these in a a long time. WAR, are you looking at agencies?

WAR, are you looking at agencies?

Yes, Mike, Agencies, JPMorgan as collateral.....

:wall

Usually CMOs are backed by government securities (I believe this is the main difference between CMO and MBS). Therefore they have a very low risk and as a result a very low return.

Because risk is very low, tranching affects only average life of the bonds. If you want to put it in terms of prepayments - senior tranches have higher reinvestment risk if prepayments are high.

Back