• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about proof of enrollment

Hi All,

I just have a question about if I am studying the material of this certificate, is there any proof showing that I am taking this Pre-MFE course.

Because I am applying several MFE program and I just want to know if I can put this certificate as a course in process in my resume and education background. If I put it in my education background, how can I prove I am taking this course?

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
Li Lu

Hi All,

I just have a question about if I am studying the material of this certificate, is there any proof showing that I am taking this Pre-MFE course.

Because I am applying several MFE program and I just want to know if I can put this certificate as a course in process in my resume and education background. If I put it in my education background, how can I prove I am taking this course?

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
Li Lu
Once you are enrolled in this certificate, you can say that you are currently taking this course, even mention the level you are at, as a measure of your progress.
Upon completion of the course, Baruch College will sponsor you the certification and send it to you via mail, officially signed. Then you can use that as a tangent proof.

Once you are enrolled in this certificate, you can say that you are currently taking this course, even mention the level you are at, as a measure of your progress.
Upon completion of the course, Baruch College will sponsor you the certification and send it to you via mail, officially signed. Then you can use that as a tangent proof.
After I enrolled, is there anything like enrollment letter or confirmation of enrollment to prove I am pursuing this certificate?

No, but I think you are receiving a confirmation email upon your enrollment, you might as well use that as an informal way to prove it.
@Andy Nguyen
BTW, I actually have another question about the course material.

Actually, this is my first time to study a programming language, and I do not have any fundamental knowledge about it. Currently, I am still trying to finish the exercise of the Level one, but I realize I am supposed to be able to use some code like "scanf_s" and "getchar()", which are not mentioned in lecture materials. I understand it is impossible to handle all these knowledge in a single course, but I just want to know, in addition to the material provided by the lecture material, what material I also need to read to know how to use codes, such as "scanf_s" and "getchar()". Am I clear?

BTW, I actually have another question about the course material.

Actually, this is my first time to study a programming language, and I do not have any fundamental knowledge about it. Currently, I am still trying to finish the exercise of the Level one, but I realize I am supposed to be able to use some code like "scanf_s" and "getchar()", which are not mentioned in lecture materials. I understand it is impossible to handle all these knowledge in a single course, but I just want to know, in addition to the material provided by the lecture material, what material I also need to read to know how to use codes, such as "scanf_s" and "getchar()". Am I clear?
Yes, you are very clear. :)

I, too, had no experience before I took this certificate. And I admit, it was challenging for me to start from scratch here, but the guidance I had from my TAs was tremendous, the forums were very helpful, and I was listening to the video lectures usually more than once, in order not to lose details. It will certainly be harder for people like you and me, but if you decide to put time in it, it's very doable.

That said, if you decide to take this certificate, here are some brief advise:
  • Focus on learning the material and on completing the exercises. Don't get lost into the vast depths of programming at this point of your education, but focus on the basics.
  • Google a lot. There are thousands great resources that will help you and save you time, cause it's impossible to expect for the course to go through all the libraries and functions, it will take forever -- as you said, you can't rely 100% on a single source when learning something new.
  • Read the threads and post questions when you can't find something, and we will reply with useful links and recommendations asap.
  • Rule of thumb: Make it work, make it correct, make it efficient -- with this order.
  • Whenever having trouble with a homework question, check the sample code that will be given to you with the rest of the material. Many similar functions and methods are there.
  • Experiment as much as you can, and keep your search simple: "how to use scanf() in c++" "what is the standard library c++" "why using namespace std; c++" etc.
Also, try level 1 and level 2, complete the homework and ask for guidance, and if you think it works for you, enroll then :) My personal commitment was 4-5 hours daily and I completed the course with distinction in 66 days, but that really varies per student, so you better figure out your pace in the first 2 levels and then decide.

Good luck and hope to see you in the forums!

Yes, you are very clear. :)

I, too, had no experience before I took this certificate. And I admit, it was challenging for me to start from scratch here, but the guidance I had from my TAs was tremendous, the forums were very helpful, and I was listening to the video lectures usually more than once, in order not to lose details. It will certainly be harder for people like you and me, but if you decide to put time in it, it's very doable.

That said, if you decide to take this certificate, here are some brief advise:
  • Focus on learning the material and on completing the exercises. Don't get lost into the vast depths of programming at this point of your education, but focus on the basics.
  • Google a lot. There are thousands great resources that will help you and save you time, cause it's impossible to expect for the course to go through all the libraries and functions, it will take forever -- as you said, you can't rely 100% on a single source when learning something new.
  • Read the threads and post questions when you can't find something, and we will reply with useful links and recommendations asap.
  • Rule of thumb: Make it work, make it correct, make it efficient -- with this order.
  • Whenever having trouble with a homework question, check the sample code that will be given to you with the rest of the material. Many similar functions and methods are there.
  • Experiment as much as you can, and keep your search simple: "how to use scanf() in c++" "what is the standard library c++" "why using namespace std; c++" etc.
Also, try level 1 and level 2, complete the homework and ask for guidance, and if you think it works for you, enroll then :) My personal commitment was 4-5 hours daily and I completed the course with distinction in 66 days, but that really varies per student, so you better figure out your pace in the first 2 levels and then decide.

Good luck and hope to see you in the forums!
That is really helpful. You will see me in the forum again, because I definitely will enrol the course and have questions in the future.
:)

Thanks very much.

As far as proof for enrollment is concerned, once you are enrolled you can request that the Baruch MFE program to provide a letter in PDF to confirm it. It has been done many times.
Ok, that sounds good.

I asked Pavlos this question, but for accuracy, I just want ask you again to make sure I use ti correctly.

Can I put it as an institute I am attending or just mention it in my resume?

Thanks very much.

Yes. You can list it on your resume under Certificates, not under the formal education section where people usually list their bachelor/master degree. Hope it's clear.

Whats the rate of successful completion of this course? Somewhere you had mentioned~50%.
Can this also be put as a line in a resume? Or would it not be appropriate? @APalley

Whats the rate of successful completion of this course? Somewhere you had mentioned~50%.
Can this also be put as a line in a resume? Or would it not be appropriate? @APalley
It's a percentage that can change through time, and I personally wouldn't put it in my resume. If you do want to include it, find a proper way to word it nicely and in a way it's more of a vague statement. However, why to build your resume on vague statements rather than concrete facts? It's all about the strategy I suppose...

Back