• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question Financial Derivative Pricing : Convertible Bonds Strike Adjustments

bcampana

ALL.ACCCESS
Hi everybody,

I'm currently seeking information regarding strike adjustments for convertible bonds pricing when the bond redemption value at maturity is above its initial nominal value.

In my case the convertible bond is a combination of a bond floor and an embeded american call option.

I used a simple methodology which consists in splitting the bond floor and the option value to determine the convertible bond price summing these two coponents.

Numerical example:

Bond issued 06/26/07
Maturity 06/26/11
Nominal PER:1000
Conversion ration 50
Spread: +350 bps
Redeem at: 112.5
Fixed Rate: 5%
Frequency of coupons: Annual

Details of my methodology
  • Bond Floor (BF) computed by summing the present value of future cash flows. For the bopnd floor I considered the credit spread of the convertible bond issuer to determine the discount factors. BF = 83%
  • Option value (OV) computed using Cox Rubinstein binomial model: OV = 7%.
  • Convertible Bond Value = BF + OV
My Question: If I price the convertible bond today, should I adjust the option strike price?

The strike price is supposed to be: 1000/50=20
But as the redemption value at maturity is equal to 112.5%, exercising the conversion option today means renouncing to the redemption value of the bond.

Therefore:

Should we consider this factor to adjust the strike price (1000*112.5% / 50=22.5)? and 22.5 becomes my new strike price? Which leads to a decrease in the option value ( but to be honnest I do not believe that it is a solution).
or
Should we consider this factor to adjust directly the option value by dividing OV by 112.5% (7%/1,125)?
or
Any other idea????

Thanks a lot for your help...
Bru:sos:

Back