• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

question: useful coursework for MFE

I am currently in an applied math grad program and have an opportunity to take one of the following courses:

- Numerical solutions to PDE's
- Advanced Programming (in Java though)
- Corporate Finance (an MBA track class)

I am wondering which one of these would help me the most in terms of preparing for the program here at Baruch in particular and just for any MFE program in general. Any insight or suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks,
LT

All of them are useful to some extent but since you are able to take only one,
1) Numerical solution to PDE
We have the same course at Baruch in first semester and it involves lot of math and C++ programming.
2) Programming
We don't use Java at Baruch. Taking this course means you already took some intro to programming. How much will you get out of this course ?
Most of the general programming courses taught in college can be self-taught via a book.
3) Corp Finance
No comment

It comes down to the detailed syllabus of each course but the choices are in favor of either 1 or 2. If you already know some programming and can apply it to solve some PDE, then 1 is the better choice.

Back