• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Questions about path to MFE

Hi everyone, just had a couple of questions to ask. Well let me start out by introducing myself, my name is Al, and I have recently graduated at Loyola Marymount University out here in CA, with a degree in Finance. I want to pursue an MFE, hopefully get into Baruch or NYU, but I'm not ruling out any other programs. My G.P.A is not very great, it is a 2.7. I do not want to seem like I am giving excuses for my low G.P.A, but I had family issues that needed my attention which took a lot of time away from me from my studies. Aside from that, I am currently working for a small IT company, and plan to take math and programming classes this coming fall. So here are my questions.

• Do I need to take my math and programming courses at a university, or will a community college be fine?
  • Should I wait until after I finish my calculus courses before I take my GRE so I will be more prepared for the Q section? Also, should I take the GRE Math subject test?
  • I was also thinking about retaking some of my undergrad classes in order to better my gpa, will that be a good idea? Or do you have any other suggestions on what I can do about it?
  • I also noticed many people already have masters and phd, so I was thinking, should I go for a masters in math first before I apply for MFE?
  • Lastly are there any other advice on how I can make myself more competitive?
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this.

I am still an undergrad so I cannot answer all of these questions. What I can tell you is that you should definitely wait until you have taken 3-4 math classes before you take the GRE. Even if you master all the elementary methods necessary, you will need mathematical maturity and problem solving experience to score high. I suggest you get a Barron's GRE math workbook and start NOW. That along with calculus..etc will build your quantitative reasoning skills.

I wouldn't bother retaking undergrad classes now that you have a job, but it may be hard to get into Baruch/NYU with that GPA. if you really want to work as an analyst, I would consider some of the "notable" programs. Also, do you enjoy math? Do you find it exhilarating? If so, then yes, go for an M.S., otherwise your wasting your time. Good Luck.

Thank you for your advice CG, I'll be sure to check out that Barrons Math GRE workbook. Does anyone know if taking the classes at a junior college matter at all? Thanks in advance.

It may. Where were you thinking? I will research the classes and let you know.

Does anyone know if taking the classes at a junior college matter at all? Thanks in advance.
Does not matter. You do what works for you in term of time, cost and convenience. I've read applications of people who took courses at Columbia, NYU, CUNY to meet the requirements and one does not value any better than others.
Calculus is the same everywhere. Get an A and consider the requirements met.
Do I need to take my math and programming courses at a university, or will a community college be fine?
Answered above.
Should I wait until after I finish my calculus courses before I take my GRE so I will be more prepared for the Q section? Also, should I take the GRE Math subject test?
Take the practice GRE exam couple of times. It will give you an idea. Most likely you will have to take a few math courses to be able to get 800 Q GRE. Same advice to GRE Sub.
I was also thinking about retaking some of my undergrad classes in order to better my gpa, will that be a good idea? Or do you have any other suggestions on what I can do about it?
Unless you get a second degree, you can't retake courses to improve old GPA. It's done and over with.
I also noticed many people already have masters and phd, so I was thinking, should I go for a masters in math first before I apply for MFE?
Another master may not guarantee your passage to an MFE program.
Lastly are there any other advice on how I can make myself more competitive?
Spend more time look at the profiles of the people admitted and see what makes them successful applicants and do what they've done. Almost all candidate is strong in two of the three fields: math, finance, programming so make sure you are as strong as possible in any two of your choice.

I think it looks pretty grim to be honest. Look at the desired student profiles for the programs you are targeting; you don't match them. I'd probably consider getting a second BS in Math or Computer Science at the rate you're going, and get a 3.5 GPA there while you're at it.

The quantitative section of the GRE general test has no calculus, it is all high school math. The best way to prepare (for most people) is to drill on the types of problems that appear on the test. ETS publishes a book of 10 previous tests which is good for that.

The quantitative section of the GRE general test has no calculus, it is all high school math. The best way to prepare (for most people) is to drill on the types of problems that appear on the test. ETS publishes a book of 10 previous tests which is good for that.

Obviously you need to learn prime-factorization, the Pythagorean theorem and PEMDAS to score high, but I think the test is more about the approach i.e. strategies and problem solving. I agree that you should drill on these problems, but I think that is phase 2. Phase 1 being: exposure to a variety of mathematical methods and enhancing quantitative reasoning skills. The GRE math workbook will help you refresh your high school math.

Thank you all for the great advice, I really appreciate everyone for this. I'm taking some math and programming courses this fall, and I'm already studying for my GRE. I'm going to go ahead and get the GRE Math work book as CGiuliano said and focus on that as well . I know it might seem grim iddqd, but I will still make a hard effort to get in, and like I said before, there are also many other programs that I want to apply to. Thanks again guys for everything.

Back