• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF Questions about the NYU FE program - part vs. full time

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to the Mathematics in Finance Masters at NYU but I'm not sure yet whether to apply for full or part time. I would like to ask whether:

- I can apply to both programs in the same year?
- It's possible to start out as a part time student and then shift to full time and vice versa?
- Would I be able to change at the beginning of each semester?
- Could you please tell me the class sizes for part time/ full time?

Thanks

Ok I had asked the NYU administration the same questions but didn't receive any answers before I posted, but now they have answered me.
I'm having a hard time understanding their answers, could you please help me decode what they mean

"I. If you are accepted as a part-time student, you cannot switch to full time status later on. I would like to make the distinction between part time students and full time students very clear to you. Part time students in the MS in Mathematics in Finance attend the same courses as the full time students. Part time students may register for as many courses in a given semester as they choose.

Full time students are in a structured program in which they receive department support with their resumes, job placement, industry mentors, seminars and mini-courses. They are essentially a cohort which travels through the three semesters of the program together. The full time program is highly competitive with around 10% of applications gaining acceptance. We only admit students to the full time program for the fall semester.

II. Your application will be reviewed for the program, student status and term in which you applied. You cannot apply to more than one program or student status (i.e. full-time, part-time) for the same term within the Graduate School of Arts and Science. Please note: you can apply to the Graduate School for different terms up to three times.

III. Each academic year, approximately 30 new full-time students enroll. Additionally, a fair number of part-time and non-degree students attend courses along with the full-time students."

What I need to know is can I apply for the full time program whose deadline is Feb 15 and then apply again for the part time program whose deadline is Aug 1st if I'm not admitted to the first?

What I also didn't get an answer to is the size of the part time class?

Thanks everyone for your help

You can't apply for both FT and PT program for Fall 2010. If you don't get admitted into the FT program, you will have to reapply for FT in Fall 2011 or PT in Spring 2011.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

I just located the source where it states there are 90 to 100 part-time students in the NYU Math Finance program.
There you have your answer.

"I. If you are accepted as a part-time student, you cannot switch to full time status later on. I would like to make the distinction between part time students and full time students very clear to you. Part time students in the MS in Mathematics in Finance attend the same courses as the full time students. Part time students may register for as many courses in a given semester as they choose.

Full time students are in a structured program in which they receive department support with their resumes, job placement, industry mentors, seminars and mini-courses. They are essentially a cohort which travels through the three semesters of the program together. The full time program is highly competitive with around 10% of applications gaining acceptance. We only admit students to the full time program for the fall semester.

This sounds very interesting.

Does anyone know if the admission criteria for PT and FT programs are different?

Will the diploma mention whether the degree is obtained on a PT or FT basis?

They have different criteria. PT students should bring relevant experience and contribution to the program while not relying on the career service which is exclusively for FT students.
The diploma does not and should not specify how you earn it. It's a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen if you do that.

Even the online degree from other programs such as Columbia CVN doesn't say it's an online degree. How else can they sell it?

Thanks Andy.

It seems reasonable to assume that work experience would be an important factor in PT admission.

Back