• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

R software

Hey guys,
I am working on something that requires the use of R, and I am having a tough time understanding how to do a few things. Anyone know of a good manuel/ textbook either online or not?
I know the sofware site has a manual with it, but I don't like it.
Anyone know of anything else that can help me?
Thanks a lot

Hey guys,
I am working on something that requires the use of R, and I am having a tough time understanding how to do a few things. Anyone know of a good manuel/ textbook either online or not?
Thanks a lot

Hi @Baller. I think I have something that helps you.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Statistical-Analyses-Using/dp/1584885394
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Statistical-Analyses-Using-Second/dp/1420079336

I found these books at my university library. Those should be helpful.

Have you seen the contents? What specifically don't you like? Cover?
Not only I have seen the content, I used it when I first started in my previous job. I owned the second edition. My ex-boss has the first one. I don't find it as complete as the links I mentioned.

Not only I have seen the content, I used it when I first started in my previous job. I owned the second edition. My ex-boss has the first one. I don't find it as complete as the links I mentioned.

Ok depends. I don't know R either. I just saw the books at the university library and they only get books on special order.

Depends on what? are you recommending those books because you saw them couple of times?

It is used at my university. The library obtains books on special orders. So why should I expect that they are ordering them just for the sake of price? (the prices of your and my pointed books are almost the same). So there should be some rationale in buying.

It is used at my university. The library obtains books on special orders. So why should I expect that they are ordering them just for the sake of price? (the prices of your and my pointed books are almost the same). So there should be some rationale in buying.

Libraries are full of second-rate and third-rate books. You have to be careful in recommending books -- for the individual there is a big outlay involved. When Alain recommended "Baseball Hacks," I went and bought it, secure in the knowledge that he knows what he's talking about.

Lol ....just day before yesterday my project manager asked the team if someone wanted to register for R classes .... and I was wondering what significance did R have .... and shortly afterwards we have a thread here on R ...... :)

Libraries are full of second-rate and third-rate books. You have to be careful in recommending books -- for the individual there is a big outlay involved. When Alain recommended "Baseball Hacks," I went and bought it, secure in the knowledge that he knows what he's talking about.
same here.. I bought the Baseball Hacks books and I have already picked up some SQL / R tricks .
@Tsotne Please only recommend books you have read or studied with. If everyone recommended books they saw in passing on a library shelf , don't you think that'll have little or no credibility here.

I think tsotne is trying to be helpful to anyone and answering everything he can here. I, for one, appreciate his help but I believe he does not have to overextend himself. It may have an opposite effect and in the long term will dilute the value of his posts.
Remember "strive for quality, not quantity".

Andy I agree with you. I had a PDF format (not copyright) of this book obtained from the library I was referring to and I sent him on mail. So let him check and evaluate himself. I think it was correct. Of course I will not encourage anyone purchase something I know nothing about. I'm not aware of R, I sent him PDF including some contents and maybe he finds the solution for the particular problem he was talking about.

Hey guys,
Thanks a lot

If you prefer shorter and problem specific books you should take a look at the "Use R!" series by springer http://www.springer.com/series/6991?detailsPage=titles these are domain specific books with, usually, no more than 300 pages each. I read "Analysis of integrated and co integrated time series with R", and its fairly useful.

The UseR! series is great. I have most of the books in the series but it becomes expensive to have them all. In the series, each book is targeted to specific field.

Back