• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF R2 Waitlisted, receive interview invitation

Hi guys,

I was put on waitlist for R2, but just received an interview invitation. I am really curious about whether waitlisted interviewees are treated along with other R3 interviewees. This makes a huge difference to me now as we all know a regular interview from MSCF almost means admit for sure, so I'm looking for anyone who's been through this process or can provide any additional information to help me evaluate my chance. Many thanks!

I created this thread also for future waitlisted candidates. I myself found next to nothing when I was waitlisted and was searching for useful information, so I guess it is a rare case and people may also need this kind of information in the future. The result being positive or not, I'll be sure to make the process crystal clear, at least from my perspective, for anyone in the same shoes. So far I saw 17 avaiable interview slots, all on April 11th and 16th, and 10 of them are taken.

I also got an interview invitation today. But I met a problem when registering the interview. I can't find any slot to register, they just don't display on the screen. Is it because my web browser? Or it means all slots are taken?

I also got an interview invitation today. But I met a problem when registering the interview. I can't find any slot to register, they just don't display on the screen. Is it because my web browser? Or it means all slots are taken?
It's the browser/internet connection. Try scheduling at a different site. btw are you waitlisted for r2 too?
There are still 6 open seats as of now. Don't worry and take your time.

It's the browser/internet connection. Try scheduling at a different site. btw are you waitlisted for r2 too?
There are still 6 open seats as of now. Don't worry and take your time.
Yes, I'm waitlisted for r2. And thank you, I've registered just now.

I am waitlisted for r2 as well, but i haven't received anything from them. u guys have any idea how large is the pool?

I am waitlisted for r2 as well, but i haven't received anything from them. u guys have any idea how large is the pool?
I just had the interview. Rick said he's just trying to get to know all prospective students and their career interests and plans, blablabla, so I guess if you don't have the interview invitation yet, very likely it's coming soon. But I don't think we should give too much hope, as the pool seems to be quite big. He also said waitlist may turn into ad on days other than may 23rd, but then he said he wasn't sure about that:confused: anyways good luck! I'll be sure to post more updates.

I also received interview invitation and will be interviewed on Apr. 16th. I am waitlist of R1. So as my classmate who is also waitlist of R1 and will be interviewed on Apr. 16th. I heard from another person who has been interview yesterday said that Rick told her the result will be release in a week.

Wish us all good luck~

Interviewed on 11th. Rick also told me the result would be released in a week.

I received my official AD (decision letter and video) this morning!
There was no email between my interview and the decision. As far as I know, 3 other people who were interviewed were also admitted. Estimating (tentatively) more than half of ads coming out of a total of 17 interviews. My guess is that the yield for R1 and R2 altogether did not meet their expectation, and this partly explains why all these results are coming out so soon.

Back