• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ranking list 2011

I have a question about the ranking. Is this a list for the top 22 programs available, with many other programs that would be ranked lower? I was wondering this because I was looking at the MFE program at Claremont University, wich is ranked number 20, near the bottom of the list. Should I intreperate that as to that the program is a quality program for having made the list and is on of the top 22 MFE programs in the USA or does this implie that the program is poor and among the lowest rated out of all?

lower ranked programs are of lower quality..dont even bother looking at programs after 11.
See the problem is MFE schools are either good or horrible..there is no in between..imo that change happens when the rankings go from UCLA to Rutgers..again this is based on my personal experience..I am no expert but I had applied to most of these schools last year. I am only saying this because most ppl here who ask for opinions on schools are fickle-minded newbies and will be easily swayed by anyone.
One famous thread went lik this:
A: Which school should I go to- abc, xyz, pqr?
B: abc.
A: ok.
:ROFLMAO:

There are 2 type of programs:
1. Fit your needs.
2. Don't fit your needs.
And these rankings - they are not a destination but starting point in the process of understanding your needs.

Moreover, most rankings don't cover programs in Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Econometrics, Computer Science, MBA in Finance etc which could be a better choice for you if you have some undrestanding of what you need from a graduate program.

Lin :: who made you God? The rankings fit your view, so you accept them. For others - not the case. BTW, you are asking gradaplicant to fall into the exact same mindset you warned against. Stupid. If I remember correctly if one said they went to Baruch a few years ago people looked negatively at it - look at what has developed since.

gradaplicant :: I would strongly advise you to do your due diligence. Inspect EVERY aspect of the school - if you're going to be dropping some large cash on this degree, it better fit everything you want. You don't want to sign up and 2 months in be like "wtf? why does my school not provide this?" as many programs don't offer transfer credit...which means you're stuck at the school you pick unless you're willing to accept the first semester tuition as sunk cost.

I have a question about the ranking. Is this a list for the top 22 programs available, with many other programs that would be ranked lower? I was wondering this because I was looking at the MFE program at Claremont University, wich is ranked number 20, near the bottom of the list. Should I intreperate that as to that the program is a quality program for having made the list and is on of the top 22 MFE programs in the USA or does this implie that the program is poor and among the lowest rated out of all?

In short, you really can only interpret to mean that given Quantnet's methodology and the sample size of programs used that Claremont is 20 out of 22. So if this is the universe of programs you are willing to consider and their weightings and practices correspond the same (or very similarly to yours) then congratulations! Otherwise, talk to the programs themselves. Prospective students are very important to the programs so they will usually accommodate requests for information rather well. As a Claremont alum myself I had a great time. I completed an FE degree and an MBA in two years and now have a great job in energy finance. That being said though my success at finding a quantish job was due to my personal connections. CGU's weakest point at the moment is their career office/placement.

Back