• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Received E-Mail from Berkeley

Hello all, I just had a quick question. I just received an e-mail from UC Berkeley about their MFE program encouraging me to apply. I just got my Bachelor's degree in mathematics from a smaller university, but my GPA isn't exactly the greatest (2.75). But I did score a perfect 800 on the quantitatiive section of the GRE. I was just wondering if this is a common occurance for them to send e-mails just to collect an easy $200 on the application fees or if there is some actual interest on their part. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

I received email from UCLA inviting me to open house to learn more about their MFE program. I don't live in CA nor need another MFE.
It's a common marketing process for them to mass mailing everyone whoever enter email address on their website.
Don't make too much of it. If you give your email address to other programs, you would get the same "join our program" email.

If your GPA is 2.75, you have just about 1% chance of getting into Cal....

That 1% depends on the rest of your application, which has to be REALLY REALLY REALLY strong.

Yeah it's a mass mail thing you probably signed up to when you sat your GREs.

I've received numerous emails from Berkeley, IIT, Rochester, Claremont, Pratt etc...

Straight to the bin. Committed to Cornell MFE - bring on August!

I've received numerous emails from Berkeley, IIT, Rochester, Claremont, Pratt etc...

Straight to the bin. Committed to Cornell MFE - bring on August!

Cornell has "MFE" program? I think Cornell's FE program is just a concentration in OR? I mean, your diploma and transcript will say "Master of Engineering, Operations Research and Information Engineering", right? (with no mention of FE)

Way to nitpick - congratulations, you win the internets.

Sure, discard one of the top FE programs (not to mention one of the oldest) because you get an M.Eng instead of an MFE.

I don't think your diploma ever says Master in Financial Engineering

Way to nitpick - congratulations, you win the internets.

Sure, discard one of the top FE programs (not to mention one of the oldest) because you get an M.Eng instead of an MFE.

not trying to nit-pick, but if your diploma and transcript designation don't say MFE, then you can't put MFE on your resume...

you probably have to put MEng. ORIE with concentration on FE on your resume, which doesn't look as good as straight MFE like Cal .... (or MSFE like Columbia)...

This must be a new marketing practice. If you only ask ETS to send your GRE score to a few schools i.e, then other schools must pay for the mailing list.
I don't remember getting any unsolicited emails a few years ago when I took GRE.

not trying to nit-pick, but if your diploma and transcript designation don't say MFE, then you can't put MFE on your resume...

I have two master degrees and the diplomas don't say the major, although the transcript does.

I have two master degrees and the diplomas don't say the major, although the transcript does.

it depends on your school,.. i know Columbia's diploma does not mention your major, but my other master and my bachelor diplomas from a west coast school ranked top 25 do mention the major.... and i am positive that Cal's diploma also does show major....

but transcript will say it regardless, and you can't put a different designation on your resume than the one on your transcript....

Back