• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Recommended hours to spend on the course

Hi, someone else might have posted a similar question already but I navigated for a bit and couldn't find it; I guess I'll just post it here.

I'm wondering if most people take this course on a part-time basis (during academic semesters/at work) or leave a specific chunk of time for it(summer/winter break)? I'm going to be a research assistant for my finance professor over the summer (late May-middle August) and I also want to complete this certificate by the end of this year to help me with internship hunt next summer and grad school applications next Fall. Besides the RA job, I'd have a decent amount of free time to myself over the summer(3to4 hours on the weekday and more on the weekend). Would you guys say it's likely that I can complete it in 3/3.5 months while assisting my professor with his research? (June 1-early september)

P.S I had some experience with C (recursions, pointers...) but haven't taken any college-level cs class yet.

Hi, someone else might have posted a similar question already but I navigated for a bit and couldn't find it; I guess I'll just post it here.

I'm wondering if most people take this course on a part-time basis (during academic semesters/at work) or leave a specific chunk of time for it(summer/winter break)? I'm going to be a research assistant for my finance professor over the summer (late May-middle August) and I also want to complete this certificate by the end of this year to help me with internship hunt next summer and grad school applications next Fall. Besides the RA job, I'd have a decent amount of free time to myself over the summer(3to4 hours on the weekday and more on the weekend). Would you guys say it's likely that I can complete it in 3/3.5 months while assisting my professor with his research? (June 1-early september)

P.S I had some experience with C (recursions, pointers...) but haven't taken any college-level cs class yet.
It's hard to tell exactly since one's commitment and work standards are dependent on the individual. However, most people who enroll are either seniors in college, or working professionals, and most of them succeed to complete the certificate within the time period of 16 weeks, given their work and studies. It's quite doable in my opinion, without having to be a genious.

Here's what is recommended: since the first 2 levels (out of 10) are open to everyone before enrollment, you can try them and see if it's doable for this certificate to fit in your schedule during the summer.

Keep in mind that the number of exercises decrease on average per level, but each exercise becomes a bit more involved (not necessarily harder). The forums also help, since thousands of students have posted problems and solutions that you might resort to. :)

It's hard to tell exactly since one's commitment and work standards are dependent on the individual. However, most people who enroll are either seniors in college, or working professionals, and most of them succeed to complete the certificate within the time period of 16 weeks, given their work and studies. It's quite doable in my opinion, without having to be a genious.

Here's what is recommended: since the first 2 levels (out of 10) are open to everyone before enrollment, you can try them and see if it's doable for this certificate to fit in your schedule during the summer.

Keep in mind that the number of exercises decrease on average per level, but each exercise becomes a bit more involved (not necessarily harder). The forums also help, since thousands of students have posted problems and solutions that you might resort to. :)

Very helpful comment. Thanks a lot!

Back