• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Redirect from MFE - Responses?

Hi there, I was redirected to MSOR program from the MFE. I sent in the reply email containing the paragraph as they requested. This was nearly a week ago and I haven't heard anything back from them acknowledging my reply or providing any further information.

Has anyone else replied to their redirect, and have you heard anything from them yet? They mentioned a deadline in the email, will they only start replying and reviewing after the deadline?

Any info from current or past graduates of the MSOR programs who is familiar with this process is very much appreciated as well!

Thanks!

Has everyone heard from Columbia's MSOR about interviews? Applied directly - did not get deferred from MFE.

Congrats! Did you have an interview? If so, was it before or after you were redirected?

No, I just wrote one paragraph about why I choose MSOR program, and after a week I got in.
I don't know if I wanna go or not. I can't decide between this and Columbia's Mathfin. Anyone has any insights on this matter ?

No, I just wrote one paragraph about why I choose MSOR program, and after a week I got in.
I don't know if I wanna go or not. I can't decide between this and Columbia's Mathfin. Anyone has any insights on this matter ?

Interesting, did they reply to your email, acknowledging that they received it?
I replied to that email and haven't heard anything from them yet.

And regarding the choice between this and Mathfin, it's more about what you want to do with your career.

Interesting, did they reply to your email, acknowledging that they received it?
I replied to that email and haven't heard anything from them yet.

And regarding the choice between this and Mathfin, it's more about what you want to do with your career.

No, I didn't get any response back. After week or so, I got my offer letter. But in my email, I did say that I hope to hear a result ASAP. Maybe that's why they give me a result so soon.

No, I didn't get any response back. After week or so, I got my offer letter. But in my email, I did say that I hope to hear a result ASAP. Maybe that's why they give me a result so soon.

Okay, thanks for the updates and congratulations!!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Just got an e-mail from the admissions office - they are slowly leaking admission decisions. Should be hearing by the end of the week/early next week, but most are still under review!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Just got an e-mail from the admissions office - they are slowly leaking admission decisions. Should be hearing by the end of the week/early next week, but most are still under review!
Thanks. Hey, do you know the size of classes in the MSOR program and the job placement rate ?
I looked it up, and it seems like a great program. But, I really want to work in the financial industry, I don't know if MSOR will be a good fit in the long-run.

No problem! I definitely think it's how you represent yourself and also how much effort you put into the program. I definitely, definitely think you can get into the financial industry with either the MathFin or MSOR degree from Columbia.

My honest opinion? Apply to some private tech companies for quant internships while you're in school. You won't be able to apply to bulge bracket banks because they don't take year round interns, but 'second' tier internships will almost guarantee you a job come graduation.

I heard the class size is roughly 100? They don't release class size information, unfortunately. In the end, no matter where you go, or what degree you get, it's how you present your knowledge and yourself to prospective companies.

Getting into both programs shows promise, I have no doubt you'll do well in either program/the financial world :).

No problem! I definitely think it's how you represent yourself and also how much effort you put into the program. I definitely, definitely think you can get into the financial industry with either the MathFin or MSOR degree from Columbia.

My honest opinion? Apply to some private tech companies for quant internships while you're in school. You won't be able to apply to bulge bracket banks because they don't take year round interns, but 'second' tier internships will almost guarantee you a job come graduation.

I heard the class size is roughly 100? They don't release class size information, unfortunately. In the end, no matter where you go, or what degree you get, it's how you present your knowledge and yourself to prospective companies.

Getting into both programs shows promise, I have no doubt you'll do well in either program/the financial world :).

Aww, this is so sweet and very helpful. :) I hope you can hear some good news from MSOR, too.

Hi again!

Just out of curiosity, how long did you guys write for your "paragraph" that you replied with in your email?

I wrote my paragraph approximately 200 words.
I implied that they do not want too long paragraph from the word "outline" mentioned in e-mail.
I think the objective of an replying e-mail is to confirm them that we want to be considered for MSOR.

I hope we will hear good news from MSOR soon @fifasuperstars

I wrote my paragraph approximately 200 words.
I implied that they do not want too long paragraph from the word "outline" mentioned in e-mail.
I think the objective of an replying e-mail is to confirm them that we want to be considered for MSOR.

I hope we will hear good news from MSOR soon @fifasuperstars

Yes, that is about how much I wrote as well. As long as they weren't expecting another personal statement, that'll be good.

Likewise, I wish us the best and hope anyone who hears good news will share it :D

Back